Friday, March 23, 2007

Grandma Swore by It!

I had a discussion with a coworker of mine about tried-and-true methods of old. You know, remedies that grandma or mother swore cured everything from a bee sting to a broken heart. The subject of a cold remedy that I dare type it's name came up and we reminisced about how effective it was in removing the worst of colds.

"I haven't seen it in years. Do you think they still make it," she asked.

Of course, I was on the case...searching away to see if I could find the elusive cold remedy. Low and behold it appeared (see picture). Burns like 'hell' going down (no pun intended), but it does get the job done. I took some from a friend when I was having major cold drama in college. I've never owned a bottle myself. I think I'm a little afraid to have this sitting in my medicine chest.

We also discussed hot toddies. Most people make them with tea and a bit of Whiskey. My coworker's mother put a teaspoon of the above medicine, whiskey and tea in hers. Then, her children would "sweat out" the illness. I used brandy in mine and my girls and husband believe full-heartedly that it cures what ails them.

Other remedies? Chris Rock has a comedy sketch that goes on and on about Tussin (the generic version of Robitussin). For my home, it was Mercurochrome (or sometimes Merthiolate, I think that's how you spell it): the red medicine that seemed to get everywhere! As a child who played outdoors a lot, I saw my fair share of several bottles of this stuff. It always perplexed me that the contents were so bright...about as bright as the bleeding injury I would bring to my mother or father. I suppose it worked because I have very few scars and those that I do have are hardly noticeable.

We didn't talk about it, but it reminds me of one other remedy I know works well; Palmer's Cocoa Butter (in the jar, thank you very much). I spent several months with my grandmother in Daytona Beach, Florida and during that time became the meal of many a mosquito. She kept telling me not to scratch but of course, I scratched the hell out of myself and ended up with dark circle scars all over my legs. As soon as my grandmother realized I had not heeded to her advice, out came this magic cream in a jar. She would slather me down each day; first thing in the morning and right before bed every day. I don't know how long she did this or how long it took, but one day I looked down and there were no more marks. Seriously. You would never know that I was an ugly-legged child. It's great stuff and you can still purchase it.

I used a bit during my first pregnancy and I know that's why I have very few stretch marks. I forgot to buy some during my last pregnancy, but since my body already knew what to do, I came out in the clear (thank goodness!). They have a bunch of other products, but the stuff in the jar seems to be the best of all their line, in my opinion.

1 comment:

Dee said...

re "You would never know that I was an ugly-legged child"

LOL
that is the last thing I would think to say about somebody's child