Monday, March 19, 2007

Another Quality Teaching Day at Home

My hubby and I are convinced that the teachers use these days for hanging out, drinking lattes together at cute bistros, bad-mouthing all of their not-so-stellar students, shopping for hours, taking in a show or enjoying time at an amusement park. Oh, I'm sure they really do use these days to prepare but, it's fun to imagine them doing all this while we struggle to figure out what to do with our kids when these days come around. Luckily, this is the last one of the year. My kids are currently in the living room watching Bob the Builder while I finish up my half day's work. I occasionally here the youngest crying (she's usually ready for a morning nap around this time and I'll probably put her down for one, once I'm done).

As I predicted, the weekend was uneventful. Indy had a raging fever when I picked her up from daycare. "You got here just in time," was the daycare manager's remark when I walked in. Temps over 102 are sent home and that's exactly the temp Indy had, poor thing. Geeze! Can I have one week where someone in my house isn't sick? What's up with that?

She carried her fever into the next day and didn't eat very much until lunch time (when the meds kicked in and she began to feel better). Ham fried rice must have hit the spot because she was scarfing it down like it was going out of style. I was glad that she was eating anything. She was might sickly looking those first two days. Sunday, she was a different kid, but I didn't want to risk anything so, we stayed home from church. I usually feel really guilty when I do this, but the guilt was minimal this time (thankfully) and she seemed to be better because of it.

Today, I don't know what I'm going to do with these kids. I'll probably send the oldest one outside while Indy naps. Perhaps I'll get a workout in (Lord knows I need one! I went to my water aerobics class and I'm so stiff! Nothing like additional body punishment [I mean, workouts] to loosen one up). My money is on lock-down, since we have to be ready for the vacation in a couple of weeks, so no splurges. I think I need a hobby.

3 comments:

Dee said...

what the heck happened to the school system by the way? Didn't kids used to learn stuff in school? I wondering if the teachers aren't drinking lattes even when they are in the classroom.
I know, I know, some of those teachers are working really hard but I'll never forget the stories my aunt used to tell me. She was a cafeteria lady in the South Bronx for years and she would always say that the teachers just stood in the hallway chatting while the kids watched movies or fought or something.

Miss Construed... said...

I come from a houseful of teachers who had barely enough time to get all that shite done before class for the kids so I never doubted that what my Mother, especially, did was time-consuming. She certainly never gave me any of the time that she spent on her students; that's for sure...

Hope Indy is feeling beter- it really is one after ther other with you lot; isn't it?

Ps; save the body punishment sessions for you and and the Hubster! You'll still get a good workout, my friend!

Enchantress said...

God's Child - Oh, that's terrible! I can relate to that on one level (at least, where my schooling was concerned). My Econ teacher, God love her, was a three-pack a day smoker and constant drinker. She was one of those who brought her thermos of coffee to class (and there wasn't just coffee in it). She taught straight from the book, and what I mean is, she read the passages from the book where the test came from. All you had to do was underline or highlight those areas, and you were assured an A.

rn_buffoon - My mom was a teacher too! She taught elementary and I remember plenty of nights where I didn't see her due to the grading of multiple papers. She really didn't have to work and started to resent the job, so she became a stay-at-home mom like you. I'm glad she was able to and did. She later took on work at a bookstore, part-time. I loved that, too.