Wednesday, March 21, 2007

2 Posts: The Bad News

Nothing is eternal. My high-ride with hubby ended abruptly on Monday afternoon, when he called to tell me he was on his way home from work. We were talking about the fact that I had worked a half-day from home and the rest of my day was spent just enjoying my time with the kids. He made a comment about, if he'd known I was going to be home all day, he would have asked me to do such and such. Well, I didn't answer. He did know I was going to be home and he didn't ask. (I can't even remember what the request was, now).

So, then he starts going on and on about all that he has to do and how he's trying to finish the basement and get the air conditioner installed. Oh! I just remembered! He wanted me to call around and get estimates on air conditioner installations. Well, I did that last year and I told him the quotes were still downstairs. Amidst all this discussion, I reminded him that he worked with a friend to get an air conditioner (which is currently sitting in my shed that I discovered quite by accident, over the weekend...he said it was a surprise) and have it installed more cheaply. I had expressed my concerns over this the night before, so this began his tirade over the phone about calling for quotes.

I told him that my concerns were just that; concerns. He could take them or leave them. The world need not be altered because of concerns. If he felt that his "boy" or whoever could do the job and do it well, then so be it. I trust him. I then told him that I didn't want to argue and he insisted that we weren't. Uh, huh. So, he asks again about getting quotes. I continued in silence until he said, "Well?" I had decided that I would go ahead and make phone calls, but then before I could get it out, he accused me of "not doing anything." WTF?! Are you serious?!

I immediately told him good-bye and hung up on his ass. So, working full-time, taking care of two little girls and trying to maintain a household is not doing anything, simply because I'm not laying tile (which I offered to help him do, BTW). I was livid and didn't speak to him when he came home, later in the day or that night. In fact, I didn't speak to him again until yesterday afternoon when he called my mother looking for me (traffic was bad, I pulled over and stopped at her house until it let up. I also wanted to check out her new dog...different story, I'll tell it later).

"So, were you going to call or were you just going to show up," were his words. Well, I had been in a good mood until that. I hate when he turns into a royal jack-ass. It's rare, but it burns me up when he does. My mother was sitting right across from me, so I couldn't say what I wanted to. Oh, well. I ended my visit with my mother shortly thereafter and headed home. I did have to see about my eldest, after all.

We exchanged a few words, before he left for the gym. He had prepared dinner and fed the babe already, which was good but I was still highly irritated. I have not seen him again since then (he came home after I went to sleep. I heard him, but I didn't see him). I plan on sending him an email, since we can't discuss the events over the phone. Cubies make privacy almost impossible. I could go outside, but who wants to ruin a perfectly lovely spring day with arguments. I want to wish the whole thing away, but that's unrealistic.

Truly, I don't even know what to say to him. I'm out of words and thoughts at this point. I guess I'll start typing and see what comes out.

2 comments:

Dee said...

re he accused me of "not doing anything."

it was good of you to hang up rather than start banging the phone on the desk and screaming a la Ya Ya Sisterhood.

Enchantress said...

True. I think nasty words would have been exchanged, otherwise.