Thursday, October 16, 2008

Out of the Blue

When I came to work on Tuesday, I had a message from someone I went to high school with. I haven't talked to her in years! I was thinking about her a few weeks ago, though and ironically, she's had another baby. Is that why I was thinking about her? I usually act on those impulses, but I didn't have a number or a way of reaching her. Funny (strange) that she should contact me.

History

So, this friend (I'll call her Kay) and I met sort of by accident. I was friendly with a friend of hers (Ann) who had a class with me. Ann and I were on the phone, when she conferenced-in Kay to ask her a question (this was when three-way was just emerging and was so popular). Well, she had someone on the phone with her and she conferenced him in (four people total, now). We all started chatting and stuff but soon, I had to get off the phone. Later, Kay told me that she asked Ann if she could get my number from her to call me sometime.

So, the friendship began. We were thick as thieves in some respects, and perfect strangers in others. I considered her to be my wild friend, in that she always seemed to have a boyfriend (or two, or three) and a guy waiting in the wings. I lived vicariously through her because I never had that sort of attention from the boys (as I've stated before, they were afraid of me). We also had our notebook. It was exchanged during classes, courtsey of an empty locker located between our two lockers (consiquently, borrowed clothing found its way into this locker, too). I'd write a note, then she'd write one. I still have these notebooks full of the things that make life so important in high school. They're actually quite comical (I'll need to dig them out soon).

After high school, we stayed in touch and I'd visit when I could. When I moved, we would call or email each other but we didn't stay in consistent communication with each other. That's her m.o.; her consistency was/is her inconsistency. I know when I fall out of touch with her, it will inevitably come back. Seems it has, now.

How Does it Feel?

When I first talked with her, it was like old times. We fell back into our familiar friendship with the only difference being the addition of children. She sent me pictures and I sent her some. It was good and it brought back lots of memories. The other thing it did, which I wasn't expecting at all, was awaken this feeling of loose ends. I have loose ends in my life. People that I never really said goodbye to or "finished up" with. We were just left "hanging" for lack of a better word. What can I do about this? Not a whole lot, but I don't think it's that unfortunate. Perhaps I'm done with these people and that's simply the way it is. Will they resurface? I've had two people do that in the past, but not the two I was expecting. Which leads me to believe that others feel the way I do. So, I may get some more "out of the blue" calls. Maybe this is only the beginning.

3 comments:

Dee said...

that is very interesting
I've wondered about some people myself but not enough to contact them
I guess I could count myself as a little inconsistent
it's great when the person who comes back into your life is a good friend

Tasha said...

It's funny how people tend to reappear in your life after they've crossed your mind.

There are definitely some people I need to tie up loose ends with, but it's almost easier to stay distant.

Enchantress said...

gc - I feel that way about some people, too. Others, I almost feel compelled to find them. I don't know if I ever will. My fear is that, if I did, would they even remember who I was? Maybe they meant more to me than I did to them.

Tasha - It's true, and it goes back to my fear. My heart would be dashed if someone I reached out to was like, "Who the hell are you?"