Sunday, October 05, 2008

Misunderstandings All Around

So, it turns out my hubby wasn't at work on Saturday. I went forward with my "no communication" plan and it sort of blew up in my face. Turns out he didn't say he was calling me back for sure. He only said that he might. He ended up out and about with his phone off, so didn't know I had called until the next day. We got into a huge argument that could have turned ugly, but instead brought us closer. A better understanding of why it's so important that we communicate clearly to each other. He ended up watching the kids while I went to Salt Lake. Then, when I returned, we cuddled on the couch and watched movies. I picked up some take-out and we ate better than we've eaten all week. He kept dozing because he was sleeping better than he'd slept all week (same here).

I put the kids to bed and got ready to take a shower, when he suddenly poked his head in and asked if he could join me. Well, of course! He washed my hair (which, I can honestly say, I would pay him to do if he didn't just do it willingly) and made out a bit under the hot, steamy spray. It was magic. We met again in the living room and drank chardonnay and talked. We talked and talked and talked till it was nearly midnight. Of course, he spent the night and absence has definitely made the heart grow fonder.

I had to remind him, though, that my email was littered with frustration and that when he saw it, he may become irritated all over again. I described fairly well what I'd said and he felt like it just wasn't worth the frustration for either of us, so he would most likely delete it when he saw it. He apologized again for not having his phone on and for also being upset with me for not having mine on. "I can't very well get mad at you about something I did myself," he said.

Summary: We're missing each other terribly. It was probably the best weekend in a long time, and we really didn't do much. we agreed that the "talking" thing was so important and should continue. He loves me as much as I love him and we do want this to work. It rained all day Saturday and this morning, but by noon, the sun was out and the air was crisp and clean. It was absolutely beautiful this afternoon. I love the fall! We also decorated our stoop in Halloweeny stuff. (I took the picture above just after the rain. The way the clouds nearly touch the ground here, clearly speaks to our elevation.)

2 comments:

Dee said...

okay
I'm starting to see the light about this separation thing

but I never get why ppl turn their phones off
but I guess you have a home phone so it totally makes sense not to have your phone on all the time

Tasha said...

That's beautiful. The saying that absence makes the heart grow fonder is absolutely true when both hearts are committed to each other. I'm glad to see (?)you feeling better.