Monday, October 27, 2008

Halloween Parties and Too Much Food

Early Friday evening, we took the kids to the community party at the local junior high. Hubby wasn't going to come. He said, "If I'm taking them trick or treating, then you can take them to the party. I can only take so many times out with lots of kids." However, when I was about to walk out the door, he decided to come along. I was very happy about this. The girls finally got to see (and wear) their costumes. My youngest kept trumpeting like an elephant and every time I looked for her, she was standing in a mirror admiring her trunk. Her sister was thrilled with her ensemble as well. We took a few pictures before we left, then I put the camera away. I regret not having taken it with me.

At the school, there were air-filled bouncers, games, a picture booth, a cake-walk and loads of treats. The Babe found a friend from school almost as soon as we walked in the door. Then, off she went. Hubby, Indy and I walked around visiting the booths and hubby took Indy through the cake walk. She also got her fill of sugar-cookies shaped like pumpkins. Hubby and I were in tears laughing when one kid in a horror mask turned around. Indy gave a shriek and said something like, "Scary! Go away!" Kids are brutally honest, aren't they?

After the party, we got the kids home and fed. Hubby and I got dressed in our own costumes. Hubby looked fabulous in his pimp gear, complete with light-blue, polyester pants, jewel encrusted patent leather shoes, purple velvet hat, cane and bling for days! My make-up took longer than anything else I had to do. Here's a breakdown:

  • Cleansed and moisturized face
  • Applied oil-free foundation
  • Applied powder
  • Filled in brows with brow pencil. Then, brushed.
  • Blended sparkly, duster gold shadow to mask area (around eyes, outer eyes & nearly to cheeks)
  • Applied blue, Maybelline shadow to crescent of lid
  • Applied purple, L.A. Colors shadow to mid-level lid
  • Applied old gold mac pigment as highlighter to lid directly below brow
  • Lined upper and lower lids with black, liquid eyeliner
  • Applied "Pixie Dust" lashes to upper lids only (I'll do the lower ones on Friday)
  • Placed acrylic jewels to center forehead and around eyes with lash glue
  • Added light blush to cheeks
  • Rubbed on glitter gloss and a touch of Ruby Berry lipstick. Phew! Finally done.

Then, we took them to my mother's for an over-nighter. Once we got back in town, we were hungry, so we stopped and picked up a snack at Wendy's. After the snack, we headed over to the house party. The house was decorated well, but there wasn't a lot of furniture. I couldn't tell if they were just getting settled or had moved furniture out for the party. It was a large home with three levels. We were on the second level, primarily (going into the garage for "Jungle Juice" every so often).

I stayed with hubby for the most part, but then journeyed with the other ladies for Jager shots (oh, why!). I've never had Jager and I just knew I was in for it. Surprisingly, it didn't have the effect I thought it would. I was buzzed and very happy, but no where near as drunk as they were. I'm usually a light weight, as I've said. Hubby said it has to do with the make up of the liquor. Who, knows.

We drank, we ate we danced until nearly two in the morning. About the time people were getting too "loose", we made our exit. We stopped for a late, late dinner and brought it home to eat and discuss the antics of those at the party. It was a nice night. Five hours later, we awakened and got ready to pick up the kids.

Saturday was spent a bit at my mother's, talking to her about all manner of things. Then, we got on the topic of dogs and she mentioned seeing one in the classifieds that might be perfect for us. Hubby called and after several calls and tries, we found our way to their home. The dog was beautiful! A fawn colored great Dane only one year old. A perfect pal and trainee for our old gentleman at home (he's 8, now). We wanted to acclimate another pet before he checked out. Not that he's ailing, but he's old and a friend is always nice.

Later in the day, hubby picked her up and brought her home. She's wonderful! She doesn't chew, doesn't go in the garbage, obeys commands and is oh, so affectionate. She's under weight, but we'll be able to fix that with no trouble. She's a lazy girl like our old gentleman, so she's quite mellow. We love her! We think she's a good fit for us.

Sunday, I missed church and opted to stay home with hubby. We lounged around, ate a huge breakfast and took naps for the better part of the morning. By afternoon, we met my mother and sister at the park again for a walk with the dogs. I don't know how we did it, but we managed to get both large dogs in my car! They had fun on our nearly two mile hike and we fed the horses apples again (I left the sugar cubes, but won't do that again...they were missing them). The weekend was terrific until...hubby and I got into it Sunday night. He slept on the couch. Today, he's running errands. I've asked him to talk to me, but he's avoiding. He can't avoid all day. We have to work through our issues when they happen. We still have lots of work to do. Have a good week!

2 comments:

Tasha said...

The "grown up" party sounds like so much fun! And Jager shots?? Wow! I used to be able to do them in rapid-fire succession back in college; now I think I'd be completely tore up just looking at the bottle.

Yay for the new dog! 2 dogs is always better than 1.

Hopefully the spat with hubby will be smoothed over soon.

Enchantress said...

You must be one of those "real" women I hear tell of. I'm such a weakling, for the most part. I had one coke and whiskey once and I couldn't remember my name! Jager, however, didn't seem to do a thing to me.

Yes! I think so. Love those doggies!

It was over quickly. I had to remind him that his "spiritual" life is in turmoil. Speak from God, and there is peace. The argument was over and he had a lot to think about.