Monday, March 15, 2010

Time to Tell Part 2

My boss asked for a meeting the next day, when I came in. It seemed as if I put my purse on my desk and he was ready to talk. I went into his office and had the most awkward conversation I can remember ever having. He offered up options and offered up that I may seek out other positions internally. He told me how hard it was for him to wear his manager hat and his friend hat. I completely understood his position, but I was pretty firm in my feelings.

When we finished speaking, we had a brief hug (trust me, we both needed it after that talk) then I headed over to another manager's office to talk to him about my prospects. We chatted for about 10 minutes and he convinced me that I would be great in his department (did I mention, they train in office then are full-time telecommuters?) I got the ball rolling right away. I spent part of the evening and the next morning, updating my very stale looking resume. It had been five years since I touched it. I thought about what was going on five years ago. I was getting very frustrated with work and then boom! I got pregnant with Indy. It's amazing how the "signs" manifest themselves.

Resume updated, references acquired and a pretty fantabulous cover letter letter, I had submitted everything through our system. I informed the manager that it was done. At the same time, our department manager was moved to a new area...the same man who told me I had to come in. It was totally unexpected and he was told over a weekend. So, after nearly ten years of being with the company himself, he was being moved. Drama!

So, here I am waiting around to hear if I'll have a new job and here he is with a new one, without even asking for it. It's definitely a good move for him and we're all sure he'll be very happy. I had to play it cool and I noticed everyone noticing I was playing it a little too cool.

The next week, I had my interview. Fifteen minutes later, I was informed that I would have a second interview by phone involving one of the team managers. The next week, sitting in my car, we had the best time in our phone interview. I was really getting a confidence boost. Everyone seemed to think I would do a good job (I, myself wasn't too sure).

The offer was made one week later and in mid-April, I will start my new job. It's so weird but good. I'm a bit nervous, but excited. So many thoughts, feelings and emotions rolling through me right now. I guess I've moved past my crossroad.

4 comments:

Icey said...

Whoop Whoop!!!

I am so happy for you!! Congratulations on the new gig. You know you are intelligent and you know you can do this job!!

I would kill to work from home and make the same amount or more than I am making now. In my industry that is not possible yet!

Enchantress said...

Icey - Aren't you in accounting or am I confused? My neighbor is an account, but he has a home office. He does a lot of traveling, though.

Miss Construed... said...

Well done on the new job!

Onwards and upwards, hey?

RN x

Dee said...

That is such wonderful news.
When he closes a door, he opens a window!