Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Being Natural, My Kids and Preparing for Surgery

I took my hair down over the weekend. It's been two months and boy, was it looking rough! I ordered hair the very day I took it down (the same type as the last, only much lighter for spring/summer). I will also make sure she cuts it a bit shorter. Sort of a shame, considering how much I spent for it. Anyway, as I took my hair down I reveled in the length. I just can't believe that I was nearly bald only two years ago. I'll have as much hair as my oldest in no time (way too much). Since it's natural (but I do color) I redyed it all so that when I have the latest extensions put in, it won't look too crazy. That and I just like going a bit lighter when the sun comes out. The color above appears on me, just as it does on the model. It's a bronze color with lots of light reflecting highlights. Very pretty.

I am amazed at how much I miss my hair out, free and natural. The braids have been protective, giving my hair a chance to rest, grow and be untouched for a while. After I took out the braids, dyed, washed and cleared my hair, I was so happy to just run my fingers through all my twists and coils. It really is beautiful close up. How come I never noticed? Traditions can be so blinding. I look at perm kits on the shelves in stores now and just thank God I don't have to do that anymore. I'm so surprised at how I feel. I didn't chronicle this journey like I initially planned, but I will say that I am happy with my choice. I use the glycerin and water on my hair as a moisturizer (the Castor oil, on me, gave my scalp the itchies). My skin is different from my kids. They seem to handle the Castor oil nicely. I also have Carol's Daughter.'s hair butter. I'm not crazy about the smell or the product for myself, but my girls love it. I actually prefer Silken Child for me.

Like everyone says, it's certainly trial and error. There are things I will never put in my hair again, and things I'm sure I'll just love, love, love (but can't find in freaking Utah). On vacation, I plan to stock up. Hubby's all about making space for all the stuff we'll buy out of town. It's very frustrating living somewhere where "our" resources are so limited. I'm glad I got my Sally's card (since that's really the only alternative I have). Since I seem to spend money there every month, might as well get a discount. If you don't have a card and you find that you shop their often, invest in the card. You'll be glad you did.

Monday during lunch, I picked up several CDs on hold for me at the library. I didn't realize that one of the reserves I chose was a children's book. Not being deterred, I brought it home and ripped it to the computer. When I put the discs on the counter to take back, my eldest saw them, yesterday morning after breakfast and read the cover.

"Can I listen to these?"

"Sure. They're actually children's stories...but, they're supposed to be scary. Can you handle it?"

"Yeah."

So, off she went into our sitting room and popped in the first disc. I could here the eerie music with each tale. The fall and rise in the narrator's voice (along with cackles and screams). Where was this last Halloween? She was totally into it. Checking in on them about twenty minutes later, she and her sister were curled up on the couch with a blanket and stuffy listening intently. A few minutes after that, baby sister comes back whining and hugging me saying, "I don't want to be scared anymore." Poor little thing! I found something else for her to do. What sacrifices we'll make to be with the one we love, huh?

So, the books on CD that I've reserved over the past couple of weeks are to get me through healing time. Eight days till the big day. Sigh....As I continue to read recover stories across the web, one of the things I saw mentioned (only once) was having books on CD. Since I won't be able to see to read a book, a t.v. or computer, I thought this was a great suggestion. The final Sookie book is in that mix (well, the final before the latest that just came out this month).

Tru.e Blood on video! I was so excited, I headed on over to the local video store to pick it up. Hubby and I watched the first episode last night. I like the brassy Tara character, but she's nothing like she's described in the book. I like who they've chosen to play Bill and I'm really pleased with the filming location (are they filming in Louisiana? I'll have to check). I hope the fan base stays strong because there are so many books. I'd love to see all of Char.laine's characters come to life. I was filling in hubby on all the vampires, shape shifters, weres and other supes. He was more into than I thought he would be. It's a sexy tale, too so the eldest can't read or watch these right now. She's really bummed out about it. I'm actually really happy at how eager she is to read everything!

Watching a little titillation must have gotten hubby in the mood. Okay, no. He's always in the mood. He's been in the mood for the past four days. Maybe he's getting it all in before I'm completely incapacitated. Nope. I think he'd go for it, whether I was partially conscious or not. What a guy!

*Update* I just called and checked on the status of my hair order. Back ordered. Back ordered?! Why didn't I get an email, a phone call something! Ugh! So, now I've got to spend more money to buy more hair. The stores here don't carry the hair I want. So, I'll either have to die my hair black and get what's readily available or find a substitute that won't break the bank. I am not cancelling my appointment. I am so irritated!

3 comments:

Dee said...

so, if you don't mind my asking, how come you all live in UT anyway?

Enchantress said...

Simply, my mother. She moved out her in 1994 because of her job. I had started college and didn't want to leave/transfer, so she flew me out here every Christmas and Summer until I graduated. Once my hubby and I married, we knew we didn't want to live in Nashville anymore (totally backwards), but weren't sure where we wanted to be.

I guess hubby also made some sort of promise to my mother that I didn't even know about until years later. She told me that he said he would make sure I was close by. Well, he made good on that promise. Truthfully, it's not all bad, but like any place, it definitely has it's draw backs. I don't think there are perfect places to live (but who knows...my life on this planet has been short in the scheme of things). :) I loved California when I lived there, but there's no way we could afford to live there.

Tasha said...

Ooh, Silken Child is great. One of my favorite moisturizers for my natural hair is Green Tea butter from hairveda. Just lovely stuff.

But also like GC, I was wondering how you ended up in UT also. Thanks for answering.