Wednesday, April 18, 2007

To Cut or Not to Cut

As I transition from relaxed to natural, I have asked myself repeatedly, "Why don't you just do it? Just be brave and cut it off?" Well, I could. I could cancel my braids appointment and just go for the TWA (tiny weeny Afro). I could bite the bullet and just get it over with but, the truth is? I'm too much of a wimp. I have a little more than an inch of new growth. It's healthy, twirly and strong, but past that is about five or six inches of length. I will slowly trim this away as my hair grows and I'm okay with that.

I don't want to have this blog turn into the many I've seen on going "natural", but I will spend a little bit of time documenting it here. I want some sort of record of how it started, what I went through and any victories or mishaps. I'll also post a site or two of the places I've visited for inspiration, tips and product reviews. Going natural means learning how to take care my hair quite differently than I've done in the past. Truth be told, it won't matter so much while my hair is in braids, but I will need the knowledge and tools once that style comes down. I'll also want to take care of what's growing out while the braids are in.

Our Hair is a site I discovered in my search to learn my particular hair type. They've categorized black hair types into categories L.O.I.S. Unfortunately, there appear to be some links that are dead. I'm not sure if this is my browser or if links are dead only on some pages and not all. I'm still exploring. MotownGirl is hugely popular and I've seen her name on other natural sites, usually in comments where readers are singing her praises. Like many others, she became fed up with the harshness of chemically treating her hair and how thin her hair became because of it. Along with turning to some really unique products, she's created several "homemade" products that have aided her hair growth and health. I created a variation of one of her ideas and it has worked beautifully on Indy's hair. Both of my girls have eczema, but Indy's appears in her scalp more so than the Babe's. A combination of glycerin, Castor oil and purified water squirted throughout twice a day has her scalp flake less, her hair softer and tons more manageable. I guess I'm singing her praises too!

Another site of interest is Roshini's. She's been growing out her beautiful, natural tresses for a few years and has been convincing others to do the same. Her journey is chronicled through many pictures, which are truly telling. If you compare from the first pictures on the site to the most recent, she's really seen a lot of growth and health in a short amount of time.

Interestingly, as I've said, the braids will keep me out of experimentation of products and tips for a bit, but because I have a baby that's natural and does not yet have the length to braid or twist, Indy will be my guinea pig (of sorts). So far, less tears and softer hair. That's saying a lot, I think.

5 comments:

Icey said...

I so miss my natural hair!! It was so easy to maintain, though I had to moisturize more often. I loved it. I never had the patience to sit for braids so I did the big chop after I was 4-6 weeks overdue for a relaxer. I was super hesitant but after I did it and walked out in public for the first time, it was all gravy.

The babe is natural but her hair is REALLY thick and full and has lots of lenght. To soften it I use Carol's Daughters Healthy Hair Butter. I use regular conditioning shampoo as I did not like CD's shampoos and conditioners on the babe's hair, it made her hair shed. But that Healthy Hair Butter...LOVE IT.
Sally's even carries a decent line of natural hair care products now. Stuff for anti-itching and flaking, natural moisturizers, etc. Aside from the HHB, I only use olive oil on the babe's hair for moisture.

You will find tons of recipes online on how to make your own hair products. I do not have the time for that!! lol I did make this conditioner once and it turned out really well and made the babe's hair really soft and smell good. Remind me and I will send you the recipe (bananas, avocados and something else). After it was gone never took the time to make it again!

OK I have said way too much about hair! lol Have a great day!

Enchantress said...

Talk...talk! It's been so long. ;) Would love to see the recipe (maybe it's a project the Babe and I do together). I'll probably only make one batch as you did. Mom's with kids = no time.

I've been seeing a lot about Carol's Daughter products. I'll surely invest soon. Thanks for the tip on the shedding. That's definitely not something we want happening.

I admire your bravery. I'm a bit more than that overdue with my retouch and I am such a wimp. So, you say you miss your natural hair. You reverted back to relaxers? I'd love to hear why.

Dee said...

that banana avocado sounds so good

when I was in my teens I went natural. Sometimes I regret going back to the perm but even with the perm sometimes my hair is just too much for me.

Enchantress said...

gc - you've said before that you've got a lot of hair and it's easy to tell in your picture. That's where I'm a little apprehensive as well, but I'm hoping I'll get the hang of it.

Miss Construed... said...

From someone who has very thin fine hair; take it from me- at least you'll never have to worry about going bald altogether!

Can't wait to see your new "do"!