Monday, April 23, 2007

Why Me?

I'm getting really, really frustrated. I was frustrated in February, so I've about hit the edge with all this illness crap. So, Friday the 13th was my big poke with the penicillin needle to get rid of my Strep throat, right? Well, last Friday (042007), I sprouted a speckled red rash or hives in various places on my body. Saturday, some areas seemed to mellow out while others sprang to life. By Sunday, I was completely covered. And it's not kind. I itch and am miserable. Cortisone seems to do nothing except cause me to feel sticky and messy. Along with this side effect rash (or whatever it is) I have completely lost my sense of taste. You never know how much of a blessing that is until it's gone. There is absolutely no pleasure in eating now. Ugh! I hate it! (and I don't use that word often or lightly). I eat until I'm full, then I stop. Granted, it's great for my eating and figure but I really do miss the tastes of things. I ordered pancakes and ham for breakfast yesterday on the off chance that I might be able to taste it? Nothing. I could smell it and feel textures, but that was about it (and definitely not enough). I even tried rinsing my mouth out with warm salt water (really salty water), and nothing. My tongue burned and tingled from the salt, but I couldn't taste it. Dammit! I couldn't taste the salt at all!

So, today? I will call the doctor who stuck me and ask if this is normal. If not normal and they want me to come in, well, there's another sick day gone. Hubby thinks that they'll just say, "Oh, those are just side effects and they will pass." I seriously hope that he's right. Hope...hmmm. I'm really starting to loose that ability and it's so sad. I'm an extremely optimistic person, seeing the brighter side of most things, but now? Gosh, I dunno. I'm feeling a might helpless and it's scary. I don't know what to do if they tell me this is worse than what we (hubby and I) thought. Measles? Shingles? It may be time for therapy again...seriously. My happiness is fleeting.

On a lighter note, I did get "mine" last week with hubby, but now he seems to be suffering with a major cold. Hell must be freezing over because he never gets sick. He's been coughing and sneezing like there's no tomorrow. He even made one of my hot toddies last night, poor guy. The girls seem to be feeling better, though. I suppose that's the best thing of all. I'd much rather they were healthy and I was sick any day. Well, at the top of the list, we'd all be healthy and no one would be sick. What's this now? Month four? It really sucks.

2 comments:

Dee said...

why you is a very good question. I hope all goes well with your visit to the MD. And hey--sick days are for when you're sick! Hope you don't have to use any more though.

Enchantress said...

Thanks for the sympathy, GC. The doctor was clueless, but prescribed Prednisone (a steriod) to try and get rid of the hives. He was baffled by my lack of taste, but wants me to call in a few days and inform him of any changes. I guess it's the "wait and see" game.