Monday, April 30, 2007

Spring or Summer?

This was a weekend of record breaking temps and boy did we feel every degree. Saturday, we awakened to temps in the low 50's, puttered around the house for a bit, then drove to my mother's at around 9:30am. By the time we got there, it was 75 degrees. Wow! By lunch time, it was over 80 and we were certainly feeling it at my house. All the fans were on, the blinds closed and the curtains drawn...all to keep any trickle of sun and heat out. Out of insanity or guilt, we went to the park later in the afternoon. The babe played while I walked (getting my second outdoor workout for the day). It made absolutely no difference to my weight. The steroids, unfortunately, have a very unpleasant side effect...weight gain. Thank God I'll be done with these suckers on Tuesday.

The weight gain was expected, but not expected was the the hefty amount in which it came; Seven pounds in a week? What the hell? Not cool. Not cool at all. Hubby was like, "Well, you lost it once, honey. You'll loose it again." All that work. It's like five steps forward, ten steps back. I'm so frustrated! As such, I'm not going to weigh this Wednesday. I don't want the emotional breakdown that would come with it. All I can hope for is that the trend to loose kicks back in, once I'm off the meds and this extra baggage leaves quickly. I was so close to my next goal, too but I digress.

To continue with the events of the weekend, Friday afternoon, I went to the salon and got my braids back. The color is quite unique, a sort of auburn/blond/bronze blend. Lots of highlights and, I think, very fun and flirty for the warmer months. The color chart is hard to see (even if you double-click for a larger view, the colors aren't very clear), but it is the only one that I can find online with the color I have (F503). Next time, I will do F505 for even more highlights and frost. I had her cut it to my shoulders because who wants pounds of hair all over their back in 80 degree weather. I'm really happy with both the length and color and have already received lots of compliments. I'll have to have hubby take a couple of photos, which I will post later on.

Sunday (another 80+ degree day), we went to church and to breakfast afterwards. It was nice, but rushed. My sister, being the self-consumed person that she is, thought it would be so great to ride with my mother to the restaurant. Neither my mother nor I were planning on going back to church after breakfast, but my sister had to because of previous obligations. It was because of her that we all rushed through our food because she was so worried about being late (not a worry she's ever had before, to my knowledge). Towards the end of the meal, she began to say things like, "I should have brought my own car," and "I probably shouldn't have ridden with mom." You think? Why didn't these things occur to you before we left? Oh, well. That's my sister. At least she's got a job again (but that's another story entirely).

Wednesday's the big day and I'm starting to get a little excited. Who gets excited about air conditioning installation, I ask you? Someone who's just survived 80 degree temps over the weekend without any sort of forced air besides fans, that's who. It brought back the horrible memories of summer and how miserable we all were. I guess I'm just happy that we will be basking in coolness this year without hubby having to get on top of the roof or any of that other horrible maintenance stuff he usually does and that it will be reliable coolness. Not cool for an hour and then sweltering for six hours. I hope that it's a smooth process too because I have no idea what kind of direction to give on this if it happens to be needed.

Spring and summer have me thinking about food changes, too. It's no longer the season for soups, roasts and comfort foods but things on a lighter fair. Hubby and I talked about my famous pasta salad, complete with artichoke hearts and grilled chicken. We were both sort of craving it, yesterday. It's definitely a standard in the house during these months and I'm looking forward to it. He also asked about Baja Beans, more a vegetarian option but very good nonetheless. I'll probably make those this Cinco de Mayo.

I seem to be babbling on so, I'll end with this: it's nearly 6:30am and 71 degrees. Do you think I'd get fired if I showed up in my bathing suit?

No comments: