Monday, May 11, 2009

An Unforgettable Mother's Day

Friday started the weekend with an emotional bang. I woke up, began work and my day as usual for a Friday. I then prepared the girls for their day. I noticed that the Babe wasn't looking all that well, even after Thursday's day of rest and regrouping. I gave her some IBU for some achenes she was feeling (attributing it to growing pains). I later took her temp and discovered it was 103.5! Freaking the hell out, I took her to the emergency room...convinced she was the first Swin.e Flu discovery for our county. We later discovered she had strep (something curable, much to my relief).

I spent the day tending to her like any good nurse, making sure she was trying to eat (even if just a little bit) and was drinking her fluids. I checked her temp regularly (where, at it's highest, it was 104.9...never in my life have I seen temps that high before). She rested all day, never getting out of bed unless she had to go to the bathroom. I was pleased with her obedience (despite her desire to go to school).

That evening, we risked a show to see the Lipizzaner Stallions which she enjoyed immensely, but I could tell she still wasn't herself. My mother had already paid for our tickets and both of us wanted to go. I figured sitting for a couple of hours wasn't too extraenous for her. It was also quite an opportunity that I didn't want her to miss.

Saturday was her last competition. I explained that she didn't have to go, but with all the meds, she felt up to it. We went, she performed and back home to the bed she went. She was looking loads better and feeling better as well. Her performance was a smash and I think she felt good about her contribution to the team. I was very proud of her.

Sunday was nice, although I did end up giving her a Naproxen at church (it was all I had). She begin to feel achy during service and I had a low-dose sample in my purse. By benediction, she was looking like herself again. Being ill puts her into a complacent state (a welcome change for her mother). She was so much so that she listened to the sermon. Wow! We actually had dialogue about it in the car, upon our departure. We went to breakfast, where my sister treated us. Nice! The rest of the day I spent finishing the Sookie books I have (discovering, to my delight, that there is yet another one to read before the new one that just came out this year- I have that one on reserve at the library :) ) and starting a new book entitled Moon Called, which I'm still not certain about. The genre is the same as the Sookie Stackhouse books and I like all of the supernatural aspects, but the verdict is still out on this author's style (I'm a little over half-way through the novel).

Today, I'm dealing with TOM issues. I am glad it appeared a little earlier than I expected. This means I'll be bitchy around the time of my surgery and after, so hopefully the pain meds will just make me "babe complacent" for hubby and he won't have to deal with my hormones.

2 comments:

Dee said...

I wish books had ratings and warnings attached
I like mysteries but I don't like them too gory--but sometimes by the time you find out you're being disturbed, it's way too late

Enchantress said...

Same here. This one isn't gory, thank goodness...I just think the author hasn't handled her characters well. I just don't care as much about them and that's a shame. I'm trying to give it a chance but, being over halfway through, I doubt my caring will increase.