Monday, January 22, 2007

Trials and Tribulations

Well, me and hubby are in the thick of one right now. It all has to do with a stupid comment I made (yes, admittedly by me) that snowballed into a not-so-nice evening at home last night. It's too bad, too. I mean, hubby was all set to stay home and not go to church with me and the girls. He complained about not being on schedule yet and I said, "If you had to go to work today, would you go or would you call in?" I guess he thought about this because the next thing I knew, he was in the shower shaving.

Sunday was nice and we were having a really good day. In the midst of it, he made quite a few phone calls to friends and relatives, while I worked on the babe's hair. This took about two hours (washing, plaiting then interlocking the braids). We then piled into the car and went to the store. On the way back, we drove past a Japanese steakhouse (which we've seen often, but never gone to) and I say very casually, "When are you going to take me there?" He goes into this speech about being practical and our having kids and not being able to spend $100 on dinner. Okay. Point taken, but why did I have to finish off with, "Don't talk to me about practical. I'm Ms. Practical besides, I'm not the one who ran up the credit cards." Yep, not good. Totally uncalled for and a cheap shot. But, it was out there and no apology or anything was going to make him feel better.

So, we ate our fabulous king crab legs (courtesy of my father's gift card to us for Christmas) in silence. He cleaned the house like a mad man afterwards, then we all went to bed. It was sad and I felt really bad about it. So, this morning he calls to talk to me and tell me how he felt. I wanted to tell him how I felt and apologize, but by the time he was done talking, the rest of the office had come in for work. No privacy. I can't spill my guts or say really anything at this point. "Oh, well." I tell him. "Now I can't talk." Of course, this irritates me from his end too, because, he'll talk for hours before I can get anything in. (It's actually a major sour of irritation and he knows this now, but he's too old to stop, I guess). At any rate, even getting an apology in wasn't going to happen.

Tonight, we're supposed to take the babe roller skating for all the good behavior points she's gained from school. We're so proud of her and I actually wanted her to go last Tuesday, but that's when I started feeling sick. I hope we can go without too much tension. She shouldn't have a horrible time because mommy and daddy can't get it together. I actually hope that I can talk to hubby before I get home today, but who's to say. He may decide not to answer my calls after this morning. How's this to a great start for my birthday week?

No comments: