Thursday, January 11, 2007

An Anniversary of Love

Today is the 10-year anniversary of the day I told my now husband that I loved him. It was the day we officially became a couple. I presented him with sort of a funny gift this morning, but he seemed happy to receive it nonetheless. He's been all goofy and happy today, calling ever chance he's gotten. Not that he's whispering sweet nothings or anything, but he has picked up on the frequency of his calls even more for him. What a guy.

I haven't planned anything, other than the gift and card that I gave him because we have the girls and he's working this weekend. I just feel like a movie night at home is all I need. Am I becoming boring? Nah. I think things will pick up in excitement, once Indy's at the age where I can say things like, "Go get your coat," or "Did you go potty?" and "There are fruit snacks in the cabinet, just grab one." Ah, I love that about my oldest. Maturity is a good thing.

So, what have I learned through these ten years of love? Communication is key. You have to talk to each other...unending opinions, thoughts and feelings most flow like water between you and your mate. Don't take each other for granted. It's easy to get into a familiar pattern with things. Tell the one you love that you appreciate the things that he/she does. Even the small things are important and should be recognized. Sex, Sex, Sex. Inside, outside, under the tab
le, loudly, quietly, quick, slow, clean, messy, with our without toys...you've got to. Intimacy and affection are the more general terms to encompass all the tings that make you want your mate and your mate want you like melted chocolate or cheesecake. Get it in any way that you can.

Finally, have fun. One of the greatest things about my hubby is his sense of humor. Sick as it can be sometimes, he always makes me laugh. We can even have fun and laugh about our sex life, and that's a level of comfort that only comes with work.

It's not easy. I won't fool you or anyone else with the idea that relationships are all glorious and romantic, running towards each other in the wheat field or melting together in a passionate kiss on a bridge in the rain. You may argue and fuss for hours before you're even at a point where grunting to each other is a happy and acceptable form of communication. You can disagree about everything from what's for dinner to how your children will be raised. Relationships are
tough, but if you're willing to put in the work and time, they are oh, so rewarding.

To my hubby who will someday see this blog when I'm dead and gone, I love you from the lint
under my toenails to the dandruff on my head. You are my life, you are my love, you are my everything. Happy ten years, honey.

4 comments:

alex said...

That's so awesome -- gives me hope that true love does exist. Congrats on 10 wonderful years!!

Icey said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

One of the many reasons I love reading your blog is because you and your husband are crazy about one another! I love hearing the stories. You don't make marriage seem all milk and cookies and I love that. It makes me feel warm and fuzzy on the inside that black love is strong and that it is real. Here's to ten more years!!!

Dee said...

ditto everybody else

Enchantress said...

Thanks, gals! I'm glad to know somebody gets a kick and some joy out of the craziness that is my life.

I saw on the news this morning that a little more than half of Caucasian women are married, a bit over 40% Latinas are married and only 30% of African Americans. It's a dying institution and I'm sure it's due to the change in our culture. For some, being single is liberating and wonderful and I even enjoyed being single, but it makes me sad to see marriage on the endangered species list. Perhaps the pendulum will begin to swing the other way again.