Friday, January 12, 2007

Death and Taxes

You've heard the saying: The only two things you can count on are death and taxes. It's a such a morbid turn of phrase, but morbid or not, it is the truth. I sometimes am very aware of my mortality and try very hard to do the things in day that would, at least, leave my children with pride in their mother. Other days, I rely on the idea that as has happened with most of the women in my family, I will live to a ripe old age...living alone watching my shows, the news and going to church at every given opportunity.

Yesterday, I got a reality check of my mortality. Our neighbor who lives directly across the street, went in for back surgery over the Christmas break. He is a K-9 officer and pretty good friends with my hubby. He, unfortunately, had complications from the surgery during his recovery period and passed away. This would be easy to take if he was a man in his 70s or even in his 60s, but no. He was 33. Oh, God...33.

The babe and his children would play together on his trampoline in the backyard. He had a daughter (two years older than the babe) and identical twin boys (one year older than the babe). They weren't best friends by any means, but the babe felt safe at his house and was comfortable talking to him. I haven't told her yet, but I'm dreading the very thought of it. She's so sensitive and this is the first human being she's known that has died...and, he's close to her own father's age.

This has been rough to take and the idea that a man so young and virile is no longer among the living just breaks my heart. I feel so vulnerable and exposed. I suppose if you dwelled on the idea of your mortality day in and day out, you couldn't enjoy the life you have. The fact that we are able to keep going, knowing that death could strike us down at any minute, is our own sort of defense mechanism to enjoy life. What on earth would we do if we didn't have it?

4 comments:

Icey said...

I fear death because there are so many things I have not done. I fear dying before the babe is an adult but I don't let that fear stop me from living life or at least I try not to. I hold on to the belief that God has some awesome awesomeness in store for me!!

Good luck explaining the death to the babe

Miss Construed... said...

Sorry to hear about your neighbour. Just the thought of death scares me- and as I've never lost anyone tragically I always worry about when it will eventually happen.

Oh- and happy 10 year anniversary and belated first birthday to Indy. I remember when my eldest Son turned one all he wanted to do was to touch the candle on his cake...

Dee said...

Wow. Miss a day, miss a lot.
I'm sorry to hear about your neighbor. I'm really schocked--back surgery?! What-all is involved in that? Dang. It sort of explains why some ppl are so ornery about not wanting to go to the MD period.

like rn_buffoon I've never had that tragic sneak-up-on you death. I've always had plenty of warning on the ppl I've lost. That way I've had time to either express how I felt or decide if I wanted to. That really makes me think that while I try to appreciate ppl I could do more.

Enchantress said...

Icey - Good point! I've been feeling, lately, that there's a big reason for my being here...haven't discovered what it is yet, but I know I can't leave until it's done. Something tells me I'll know when it's done.

rn_buffoon - Neither have I, actually. The only family member I've lost was my Great Grandmother, but she was 94 and had lived a full life. I know as I grow older, more and more people around me will start to "check out".

Thanks for the happy wishes! Indy wasn't too interested in the candle, but she destroyed her piece of cake. :)

God's Child - It's rough business operating on the back. I mean, it is sort of the highway to everything your body does. One miss and you could be paralyzed or worse. I don't know what the exact complications were but, no kidding. It makes me want to take better care of my body that much more.