Thursday, January 18, 2007

Sickness and Reality T.V.

Yesterday, I felt like stir-fried crap on a stick (you know, that expression leaves me with many questions, but I'll say it anyway). Indy has pretty much kept a cold this winter and it was inevitable that I or the babe get it. Then, we've got this nasty inversion hanging over the valley. It's a dirty red haze that just sits. You can't even see the city! It's disgusting! It happens when a high front moves over and pushes all the cold air down to the valley floor. Doing so also traps all the pollution too. It makes for really crummy air quality and ours has been in the red for days. No relief can happen until either wind or a storm comes in (and we're not due for one anytime soon).

So, yesterday the cough was strong, the throat was scratchy and the body was aching. I stayed in bed pretty much the entire day (only rising to see about Indy's needs, taking the babe to school and eating). She took a really long nap, which allowed for primo rest. I'm feeling better today, but not 100%. I hope that the weather changes and allows for something to happen. If not, I'll ask hubby about going up the canyon for the weekend to get above the nasty air. We did that last year (the babe and I) and it was great for our lungs and morale. This time of year tends to bring on the blues for a lot of people. Thankfully, I haven't had that part happen yet.

At home with the baby asleep, I caught up on reality shows. I hate that I'm watching these things and that we have so much fun talking about them at work. I've got to start reading again. This is beginning to be an obsession! I watched I Love New York, The Surreal Life Fame Game, and American Idol. I missed the first night of Idol, but caught it last night. It still amazes me that people come on with this fall sense of talent and get completely belligerent with the judges because they can't sing. Unreal! (unreal, reality...wink, wink). The New York show has pretty well convinced me of why people see African Americans the way they do. I keep hoping a glimmer of intelligence appears, but alas. All of them really are just mindless entertainment and I don't take any of it too seriously. I guess as long as I keep that attitude, I won't completely fry the brain. (There are those, however, who have reached the level of the guy in the picture above...scary).

1 comment:

Miss Construed... said...

I love my Reality Shows too- one that I'm (very sadly) into at the moment is called Australian Princess.

It's truly tragic- and yet I can't help but watch!