Monday, April 05, 2010

Post-Surgery and Easter

Friday was surgery day. We were scheduled to be there at 8:15 (early, but not unreasonable). We arrived at approximately 8:00am and my mother was waiting for us in the waiting room. I inputted Indy's name into the computer, which programmed my beeper, then sat to wait to be called.

After about five minutes, the beeper went off and I went to the admin station to sign lots of papers and get tagged. She told me to take the beeper back with me because it would go off again when it was time to see the nurse. Within five minutes of returning to the waiting area, the pastor of our church arrived. It seems someone didn't pass along the message of what time we would be there. He'd been there since 6:00am. Yikes! What a guy. He talked with my mother and I for a few minutes, then little Indy. He had her hold her neck up so he could see her cyst and get an idea of what we were dealing with. Five minutes after that, the beeper went off again. I was glad things were moving along nicely.

The nurse weighed her, took her height then showed us to an examination room. There, she took her temperature and blood pressure. She also left out jammies for Indy to put on (and some warm socks). The next nurse came in and gave us information about the surgery start time (9:45am) and pain management. She said she just wasn't sure what to expect for her since everyone is so different. She then showed us to the pre-op waiting room (more like a playroom).

There were all manner of toys for her to play with; dolls, kitchen sets, trains, blocks and more. She was having a grand old time. Then, an hour lapsed and we were way past surgery time. My mother inquired with the nurses station and it seems the doctor was behind on the surgery before hers. She was beginning to ask for food, poor thing. What child wouldn't, who is accustomed to having regular breakfast every morning. Finally, finally (at around 10:45am) the nurse came out to introduce herself. A few minutes later, the doctor came out to apologize for his lateness and assure us we were going back in just a few minutes. Lastly, the anesthesiologist came out and introduced herself. She also asked us if we had any questions.

We walked back to the surgery doors with Indy and said, "See you later," as she went through (the education classes said to say this, rather than goodbye as it can prove too traumatic for both the child and parents). My mom and I then headed to the next waiting room to receive status updates on Indy's surgery. While we waited, I wandered down to the cafeteria to see if there was anything I could eat from there. No dice. My mother went and came back with a tuna melt. It smelled divine. Have to remember to make those at home.

Indy's surgery was successful and fast! The nurse initially told us 1.5 hours to complete the surgery, but they were done in 45 minutes. Hooray! The doctor came back and confirmed that the cyst was a Dermoid cyst, but that they would send it to the lab for testing. He also said he didn't see any cancer or cancerous cells. Good! Lastly, he indicated that she would not need to stay overnight and could go home with me. That was the icing on the cake. My mother and I went back to see her in post op and, although a bit loopy, she was in good spirits. She drank them out of apple juice and slushies.

Saturday, we had Easter practice again and she was totally up for it. She ran through her speech twice, then participated in the Easter egg hunt. When we got home, she died eggs with her sister. Later, we ran errands then came home to watch movies and eat.

Sunday, my stupid clock sprang forward (it still has the chip and I bought it before all the changes were made a couple of years back). It was fine, since I wanted to try something new with my hair. It totally didn't work, so I rinsed it and brought back my curls. The girls looked beautiful, my hubby was handsome, and I was working it in a David Meister yellow dress (size 8, thank you).

We came home, watched the Prince of Egypt and passed out on the couch. Later, we went to Wally world and shopped since everything else was closed (we missed our Target, yesterday). I had lots of yummy new goodies from my plan but they were loaded with salt. I'll know better today. TOM is a monster, when it comes to salt (and it's way).

Overall a positive and happy weekend. Thanks to you all who reached out with your concern and prayers. You'll never know how much those mean to me. Hope you all had a happy and joyous Passover and Easter.