Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Maintenance




This week, I've been scrambling to find someone to do my hair. The lady I went to last time, just had a baby (so I kinda don't think she's up for braiding my hair). I knew of a place, not far from my home, that may work so I gave them a call. Shaqueta (I kid you not!) informed me that all the stylists would be traveling to Vegas for the holiday weekend/week and would I be able to come in tomorrow (today). So, last night, lil' sis and I were busy taking down the million microbraids in my head, all this after I'd spent two hours painting stencil "stuff" in the nursery. I was dog tired! Of course, it's not just taking down the braids, it's combing out the "mess" it leaves after you've washed out the three months of ground in yuck, lint and flakes. Combing (or maybe raking is a better word) out the now fro I have took about an hour.

So, today I'm sporting my favorite wig to cover the tangle free fro. I always get lots of compliments when I where it and it's been nearly a year since I've sported this one. I've pretty much grown out all of the process (perm) I had before the first braiding and it is thick as hell. The effects of the prenatal vitamins can definitely be seen in my hair. It's crazy! I hope they don't turn me away when I take this wig off and present them with my flattened fro, "Here. Please make this look pretty.'' I am looking forward to when it's done and I can be the cute, pregnant lady again. We'll see.



My coworker asked me when I was going to start my maternity leave. My answer? When my water breaks and that's pretty much the truth. Unless the doctor tells me otherwise, I'll be coming in until the baby makes her arrival. It sounds crazy, I know but, why stop and possibly loose out on needed money if I'm physically able to do my job? I mean, it's not like I'm running a crane or doing construction work. I sit at a desk and manage emails most of the day. I get up when I feel like it and, eventually, sit back down when I feel like it. I don't see what the big deal is. I'm not a wilting flower that needs to be babied during pregnancy. Granted, there's a lot I can't do now, but there's so much that I can still do. The only irritating thing, besides the dull ache in my lower back, is how hot I get during the end of the day. We've got 40 degree weather with low 20's at night, am I'm sweating like a slave by 2:00pm. It's embarrassing!

I've been wondering about my doctor, though. I think (and he hasn't said anything outright) that he will put me on bed rest, probably in mid-December. I have a feeling I won't make the Christmas party this year. I hate missing out on social events. Being the social butterfly that I am, it's a need I fulfill by participating in events like these. I hate getting things second hand...I want to be the one dispensing the information, know what I mean? Oh, well. I guess I can't be at everything. (My daughter has somehow inherited this trait and feels a need to be included in everything. She's young still and can't finesse it the way I can, so she can come off sounding annoying. Other times, the cute factor works in her favor.)

No comments: