Friday, November 04, 2005

Doctor's Visit - Decisions, Decisions


I just came from my doctor's visit. This was my glucose test visit, where they check to see if I have gestational diabetes. I had to eat my lunch directly before the visit, then get my blood drawn. Normally, they have you drink this god-awful orange drink (looks kinda like Fanta but trust me, it doesn't taste like it) then sit for 20 minutes, then take your blood. I'm so glad he did it this way. My palate can only handle so much these days and that orange stuff would make anyone vomit.

Anyway, the visit started off with the normal weigh-in. Oh my dear Lord! I nearly had a panic attack when I saw where the scale went. Let me just put it this way; I've got a lot of work to do when this is all said and done. I'm only 5'2 for God's sake! They went forward by taking a "sample", then checking my blood pressure. Next, it was time for the blood draw. My doc came in and asked me if I'd had a flu shot and I haven't. My plan was for me to get mine with my doctor, but I figured, "If they're poking me anyway, might as well get it done now." He told me that if everything was normal with the glucose test that he wouldn't go over my results until the next visit; but, if there was a problem, he would call (translation, a nurse would call - I'm no idiot. I know how this game works).

He goes on to say that my urine is clear (lovely), my weight is good (oh, really?) and my blood pressure is terrific so, he doesn't forsee me having the problems I had with my last pregnancy. He did say, however, that he wouldn't be opposed to inducing my labor a week before my due date. I am absolutely not for inducing. I had to go through that the last time and I would much rather my labor happen naturally. I'll suffer through being miserable, unless I absolutely have to be forced to deliver. He also said that if I got a bit of toxemia or anything, I may have to go on bed rest or stay in the hospital, depending on what happens. I'm glad that I thought of those options when drafting my maternity proposal. Now, I've got to figure out how to get a wireless connection so I don't absolutely lose my mind if they do put me on bed rest.

Nursey dear comes back after the doc leaves and gives me the flu shot. My daughter was mortified, whinning and shivering the entire time. Fortunatley for her, they couldn't give her one in my ObGYN office. She'll have to wait...but her butt is still going to get one. It's kind of ironic because I have always been against these shots. Flus are viruses and viruses mutate from person to person. True the general strand stays intact, but the mutations are uncontrollable (which is why, boys and girls, we do not have a cure for the common cold yet). I figure, why go through the process of getting a shot when I could still get a mutated version of the one that's currently out? Well, being pregnant has changed my mind for the moment and I figure, better go ahead with it and at least protect the baby, if nothing else. It wasn't so bad and I was glad to hear it's a killed virus (less likely to feel sick side effects).

So, what are the decisions? While the doc was talking to me, I had my normal two questions I come with. This week, I asked about a back-up plan if I were to suddenly go into labor at work. My HR manager was concerned about using the hospital close by the office, rather than my hospital of choice. So, I'm asking my doctor about it and he says, "Are you planning on me delivering your baby?" I wanted to say, "What the hell? Why do I come to you every few weeks if I'm not planning on you delivering my baby?" but instead I say, "Well, that's the plan..." (in my most cute, sarcastic tone). Then he says, "Because, I don't deliver at McKay Dee (my hospital choice) only Davis (the hospital I've only heard horror stories about). The reason being is that I can't be in two places at once." Well, alrighty then! So, then I say, "Then, I guess I'm delivering at Davis," and he says, "That's good. You'll like Davis." Hmmm....

I can still change my mind about this, I know. I went to McKay Dee to have my down syndrome ultrasound check and it was lovely! It's newer and the facilities are fantastic! What I've seen of Davis looks like something out of a horror movie (Think Halloween 2 and Jamie Lee Curtis running for her life through what should be a modern day hospital in the 1970's...creepy). Okay, so I haven't actually been inside and I'm making my judgements strickly from what I've seen on the outside, along with what other mothers have said. But if I do change my mind, then some random doctor will deliver my baby. What to do, what to do. I'll talk to hubby about it, of course, and a couple of other mothers that I know delivered up here. I just want to give this baby the best start possible. My first had it so rough, I've done everything I could to make this pregnancy better.

No comments: