Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Wedding Bell Blues

Let me start off by saying, the wedding ceremony was absolutely beautiful! It couldn't have gone better and I'm sure the pictures will turn out great. It was the reception that somehow became a disaster (I suppose it could have been worse, but I'll start from the beginning).

Thursday - We arose at around 4 and left the house by 4:30 am for the airport. My daughter was excited to arrive at the airport, then crushed to hear that she wouldn't be riding on the airplane. I felt horrible. I checked in and quickly found my way to the security line, kissed the babe and hubby goodbye then headed to my gate. My plane left at approximately 6:22 am MST. I arrived at Chicago O'Hare at approximately 10:30 am CST. My next flight wasn't due to leave until 12:30, so I found a McDonald's and had some breakfast.

My flight from Chicago to Nashville was super fast. I fell asleep (which I never do on planes) and when I woke up, we were making our "final approach" to Nashville. Once I landed, I headed to the Thrifty counter to grab my car and low and behold, they upgraded me. Woohoo! I make my way to the space where my car is housed and, wouldn't you know it? It's a 2005 Mitsubishi, Galant...the same make and model as my hubby's car. Oh, how I missed him! Down the highway I went in search of my hotel. I checked in, dumped my stuff and took a nap. (Boy, did I need it!) Later, I awakened, called my dad and he came over to chat. I also called my best friend, to let her know that I had arrived. She called me back later and made plans for dinner with me.

We met at O'Charley's at around 8:30 for dinner. I had the appetizer combo and a virgin, strawberry daiquiri. Yum! I couldn't even finish it! It was so good. We chatted and had a really good time. Then, I followed her to her apartment to drop off my car. We then rode out to Wally world and grabbed a few items. Afterwards, we went to her mother's house and hung out with her for about an hour. I called my hubby. 11:45 pm CST and I was bushed! I told my girlfriend I was ready to go, so we headed back to her apartment. I grabbed my car and drove back to the hotel and crashed. It was a very long day.

Friday - I awoke at around 7 am and showered. I wasn't the least bit hungry, which totally surprised me. At 8ish, I called my sorority sister to make lunch plans. Afterwards, I dressed and took off for the hair shop where I purchased a new Zury compact (in Tender Brown), fabulous lipstick, glosses and hair balls for the babe and body glitter.

I then headed for Kroger to pick up my mother's Aunt Jemima grits that she wanted. They didn't have them. So, I headed to H.G. Hill's where they had two packages left (one was leaking). I bought the grits and a bottle of water and waited five minutes before heading across the stree to O'Charley's for lunch. Once there, I waited about fifteen minutes for my sorority sisters (CP time). They arrived and we had a blast! I had the corn chowder and half a club sandwhich. I also had another virgin, strawberry daiquri. Yum! After I left, I headed down the road to survey the area. It appeared that I could get to my best friend's church by way of a side road, rather than taking the highway. I pondered this, but ended up going back to the hotel, grabbing my change of clothes, then jumping on the highway. Road construction slowed traffic down to a crawl. I barely made it on time. Luckily, they hadn't started yet.

It was at this point that I finally met the bride's future husband. I had only seen pictures and heard about him through her. He seemed nice, pleasant. But, we didn't have a lot of time to talk. The rehearsal began and we worked on two walk throughs...which took two hours (Lord knows why). We went downstairs for the rehearsal dinner, which consisted of Mrs. Winner's chicken, mashed potatoes, green beans and biscuits. I made myself quite welcome to the potatoes and about three glasses of their sweet tea. I then followed the girls to their hotel room, changed for the bachelorette party, then headed downtown to the Red Iguana/Wanna B's. It was basically a honky tonk...which surprised four little black girls without a clue. We went in (all eyes on us), found a table at the front of the stage and proceeded to have a really great time (despite all the country music). The bride belted out "Who's Bed have your Boots Been Under". Later, three of us braved the stage and sang, "Stop! In the Name of Love". We left at around 1:45 am. I took the inebreated girls back to their hotel room, then headed back to my own. It was 2:30 when I got there and couldn't settle down to go to sleep. "Why can't I sleep," I kept wondering. I was tired...exhausted, really and I just couldn't go to sleep. Then, it dawned on me. The tea! Full of caffeine. No wonder I couldn't sleep. It was around 3 ish when I finally dozed off.

Saturday - I awakened (believe it or not) at 7:30 (I know...totally crazy). I took a shower and called in my breakfast order to the Waffel House (yum!). I had a waffle, bacon and an order of grits. They were all divine. I later took off to another hair shop and purchased my sister a new pony (and one for me), pony tail holders, a brush, and some ghetto fabulous shorts for my hubby. With 20 minutes till I needed to be at the church, I rushed back to the hotel, fixed my hair, grabbed my dress, and headed back out to the church. I was five minutes late and not everyone was there. I calmed down. We dressed and made ourselves look extra glamourous (yep! I actually put on make up). Everyone said you couldn't even tell I was pregnant. Amazing! Again, the ceremony was beautiful. The groom was sweating bullets through the entire service. I found this odd, considering the bride was wearing about 20lbs worth of dress and was cool as a cucumber. After the wedding, a white limo spirited the bride and groom off to the reception hall. Then, one came for the remainder of the wedding party. We arrived, lined up and were announced inside the hall. Dinner was served and the groom took off. It seems the best man got lost and got so frustrated that he told the groom that he wasn't coming. This set in motion the tone for the entire evening: the bride sitting by herself through most of the reception, while the groom pleaded for the best man to see reason (over his cell phone in the lobby). I was so irritated for her and even more irritated to see the groom's mother flitting around all over the place, getting into everyone's business. I just wanted her to sit down somewhere and shut-up! Once the evening concluded, the bride and groom were again spirited off in the limo, this time to the Union Station hotel for their romantic honeymoon evening. The bridesmaids went back to the church, changed, then went home (I can't tell you how happy I was to get out of that dress!).

I got back to the room and called my high school girlfriend. We met for dinner at (you guessed it!) O'Charley's. Since I'd pretty much filled up on meatballs at the recption, I had the artichoke dip appetizer and chicken harvest soup (along with O'Charley's fabulous yeast rolls) and my last virigin, strawberry daiquri. We had great conversation and I got to meet her two, adorable daughters. We dined and chatted till around 9:30 when we finally called it an evening. I didn't go back to the hotel room right away. Instead, I rode by mine and hubby's old apartment (when we were first married. Bad idea. I ended up being swamped with so many memories that I just burst into tears. I had to pull the car over because I was crying so much that I couldn't see the road. It was awful. All I wanted then was to go home. I missed my hubby and my little girl. Who knew! I thought surely I'd want to stay longer. Oh, no. I was ready to leave and be back in the arms of my wonderful husband. I really, really missed him.

Sunday - I awakended at 4:00 am (30 minutes before the alarm went off). I showered, finished packing, checked out of my hotel, jumped in the car and headed for the airport. I dropped off my car and checked into the airport. My plane arrived about an hour later and I was off and away to the Ft.Worth/Dallas airport. I slept the entire flight. My next flight was the same way. Off to sleep I went (it must be the pregnancy). I woke up once for a drink, then back to sleep. When we arrived, I was picked up by my sister. We chatted the whole ride home and when we got there, (to my absolute delight) my hubby was there. He was working on the yard, came in shortly there after and cuddled with his wife and daughter. What a glorious afternoon!

No comments: