Monday, November 03, 2008

This is Halloween...Pumpkins Scream in the Dead of Night...

(It's been my ring tone and I can't get that song out of my head, now!)

So, another Halloween has come and gone. There's enough candy in our house now to make the witch's cottage in Hansel and Gretel. We weren't able to give our own candy out for trick or treaters (and my hubby always buys a ton) so, now it's stuck in our house. I will be taking it to work for the next few months, for sure. Otherwise, we'd all have teeth that look like Indian corn for Thanksgiving. Nice.

Halloween day was spent at my office, trick or treating from cubie to cubie. My kids ended up with an extra bag because their own bags were filled to the brim. Pictures were taken and compliments exchanged. They had a blast! We came home, ate lunch and napped for a bit. I started watching a movie (texting a friend in the process), when she decided to call. An hour and a half later (and still on the phone), I put the girls in the tub.

Halloween night, (and still on the phone), my hubby's coworker's wife calls and invites us over for dinner and trick or treating. Now dressed in a costume from 2002, we venture over and enjoy soup in soup bowls shaped like pumpkins, pumpkin cookies and toasted pumpkin seeds. We also had hot wassail with rum...yum! The kids went around the neighborhood with hubby. They didn't get nearly the haul they would have gotten in our own neighborhood or what they received at my office. Of course, it still added to the pounds and pounds at home.

The evening wore on with more drinking and laughter. We left around 11:00 with two, very tired but happy children. Hubby was still swimming from his vodka cocktail in the 32 ounce cup. I had to strip him down and put him to bed. At one point, in his drunken stupor, he had turned on the oven to cook something. Good thing I saw him do it.

Saturday, another day of pounding and nailing. Men-folk were over to put shingles on the new deck roof. Good thing they did before the rains came (Sunday) or the plywood would have been totally done for. I was feeling great about the work until hubby had to buy more supplies (around $700 worth). Ugh! Home repairs and upgrades. If you don't have a home now, but plan to buy, just be aware of what you're getting into. It never ends!

Sunday after church, I came home and made loads of pancakes and bacon for my kids (who were too thrilled about having more sugar). I completed the brunch with a little lef-over Indian lunch from Friday (Chicken Saag and Naan) and some refried beans. Hubby came home later with Wendy's, then we topped off the evening with Totino's pizzas for dinner. I'm pretty much dieting for the rest of the month until Thanksgiving, after that food-fest (not to mention all of the candy I nibbled on through the day). Phew! I'll be sucking down water and eating fiber to try and feel like me again. I suppose hubby's doing the same thing.

No comments: