Tuesday, November 18, 2008

This is what my hubby owns; a 2004, Mitsubishi Galant. It is, simply, a crappy car. I've thought so since he purchased it. When he purchased the car used, it didn't have problems, it was visually appealing (inside and out) and functioned exactly how I expect a car to function. With all of this, I still thought it was crappy (he had the choice between this and a Honda Accord...after owning a Diamante, I knew the Accord would be better all around). But, men. You can't tell them anything. I'm sure "style" was a huge factor in his choice (whether he wants to admit it or not).

Over time, weird noises had begun to imminent from this machine. After a routine oil change, the service light "magically" illuminated and wouldn't go off. Check after check by the mechanics came up empty...until, yesterday. Basically, his catalytic-converter has issues and there is "engine noise". He's logged over 100,000 miles on the car and still owes quite the pretty penny (he was in a Silverado at one point and the payment for that got wrapped up into this car...nice). Heading home, the car completely stopped and he had to have it towed back to the mechanics. It seems the recently added timing belt has worn away...lovely.

He made phone call after phone call yesterday; our credit union, the dealer who sold me my car, various owners selling their used vehicles, etc... His car, quite simply, is done (do I tell him, "I told you so," now?). He was so depressed, the only thing he'd had to eat was a protein shake (poor guy). With his research into these other cars, he's actually researching...not just going on what other people have said and how it looks (although, the car he's looking at is pretty fabulous). The good news is that Consumer Reports rates it well, which is okay by me. The babe road in it for the test-drive and loved it. Is this our newest car? We'll see.

2 comments:

Icey said...

LOL at your husband!

Audi's are my favorite cars! In the early 90s I had a 1984 Audi Wagon! It is still my favorite car that I have ever owned.

When I turn 40 and provided they still make them, I will be purchasing a Q7 *swoon*

Enchantress said...

Oh, you will be too sassy!! I love it! :)(I'll also be sure to tell him that you approve of the Audis. I've gotten lots of positive feedback about them).