Thursday, November 20, 2008

Thanksgiving Traditions

So, hubby owns the Audi and he's very happy. The payment is pretty much nothing, so he can still pay off the old car and/or get it fixed up and sold (I'm hoping the latter). The girls like the car too, but I'm wondering if their song will change once summer is here again; leather interior...sticky, sticky. I've yet to ride in it myself, but am looking forward to a smoother ride than that Galant, crap.

A friend of mine is coming with me to my mother's for Thanksgiving. I extended an invitation last year, when she told me about her then boyfriend (now husband) and his family's tradition of eating fish-heads. Ugh! Eyes and everything! She declined, but regretted it soon after. This year, she asked if the invitation still stood. When I told her it did and asked if she was coming, she resounded with a, "Hell yes!" My mother is a southern-style, Thanksgiving type chef. It's a meal to end all meals and I'm hoping my friend will be pleased (she's preggers and some food just isn't agreeing with her these days).

Traditionally, my mother prepares an exquisite meal, even breaking out the fancy dinner ware for the event. We usually eat, talk then relax in her living room with a movie. Most times, she misses the movie to try and clean the dishes. Of course, I assist and my sister helps too. Hubby used to help, until he started finding his way to the couch too soon after the feast. These past few years, he's passed out just in time for dish washing. That will not be the case this year. He's been fore warned of the wrath that will come down from his loving wife if he sticks me with the dishes alone again.

My mother also picks Thanksgiving day to kick off the Christmas festivities; she watches Home Alone or Christmas Vacation. Myself? We decorate the house and tree on black Friday while simultaneously watching either Meet Me in St. Louis or White Christmas. We save Scrooged and A Christmas Story for Christmas eve. Aside from the movies and decorating, Christmas songs become acceptable again. Yes. I know many a radio station is already planning Christmas tunes and has since the start of November, but that's just too damn early for us. We've just been avoiding them when we can. About a month of Silver Bells and The Christmas Song is all I can take (although, don't get me wrong...I love Christmas music).

I've talked to more and more people who, like me, hide out on Black Friday. I think it's the safest thing to do, myself and question the sanity of those who meticulously plan then run around from store to store on a combat mission. I think they're just asking for trouble. Personally, I think it's much more fun to watch the newscasters talking about the madness that occurred, than actually being there. Is it necessary for someone to bite someone else for the last Tickle Me Elmo Extreme? I don't think so.

I was trying to think of new traditions to include for Turkey-day and I think I have an idea: I'll have the girls help make breakfast that morning or the following Friday morning. It will probably give them such a kick to eat the food they helped prepare. We've done cookies and such, but never an entire meal.

Oh! The babe ended up making the turkey-hand out of construction paper last Saturday. She had such a good time. I also printed several Thanksgiving coloring pages for her and she got a kick out of that, too. I'll have to remember that anything art related is going to make her happy. Maybe I'll check out a book on comic drawing or something for this weekend.

I think the travelers have started leaving already. We were out taking the babe to dance class tonight and the traffic was insane! I told hubby that I thought it was those folks who want to get a jump on their traveling or camping plans. I guessed that their last day was today and that the roads will be saturated with RVs and SUVs tomorrow. Thank goodness I don't have to drive into work. If that's really what's happening, I want to stay out of their way. Happy travels to Grandma's house!

1 comment:

Tasha said...

Aww, the movie traditions sound like fun. And I'm glad your friend took you up on the invite...the fish head thing is well....umm..nope.

I hide out on Black Friday too. This year I might do some online shopping, but you won't find me at the mall. More than likely I'll be on the couch!