Monday, August 04, 2008

Party Planning

The soon-to-be 8 year old is going to have a birthday party (if she doesn't get into to too much trouble over the next couple of weeks). We've been struggling with her remembering things and being responsible. I know she's young but it's quite frustrating telling her things over, and over, and over again. Simple things like remembering to make-up her bed before she leaves her room in the morning, or putting her shoes in her closet when she takes them off. I don't think we're asking the world of her and I wonder if it's just the "lazy days of summer" that have her forgetting her name and everything else. I've got her reading chapter books again to get her warmed up for school. Hopefully, the neurons will start firing and she'll again have a clue (but, sadly, I'm not hopeful). My girlfriend said that it's the age. I was told the same thing about the whinnying we experienced last year. She cried about everything! The good news is that she doesn't anymore.

As for the party, I've done it on a budget, but it should be a lot of fun if everyone she invited actually shows. My mother is lending me her Karaoke machine and the girls will be able to do Karaoke and dance for the party. I have this really cool video camera now, so I'll probably tape all the girls' performances and make them available to the parents on disc. I hope I remember (speaking of memories) because I tend to get all spacey when a lot of people are demanding my attention. I suppose I can make a point to set up the camera on the tripod during the decorating process. I even bought a disco ball that has it's own light source! Hubby and I were playing with it the other night. He said it was hypnotic...I guess that's good.

The babe has no idea what's planned for her, but she'll know soon enough when we deliver the invites which will include a disc with some of the songs the girls can perform. She's so excited, but I keep telling her that party plans are contingent on her behavior. Invitations and arrangements can still be canceled. Am I an evil mommy?

Meanwhile, hubby is on the, "Where do you want to retire," kick these past few days. It's amazing just to get through one day, let alone try to figure out what I'll do during retirement. I envision "early bird" specials, bowling, lots of cruises and dinner parties. Are my visions of an age long gone, considering that social security will be long gone? I might as well ask him if he wants a martini when he arrives home from work. Let's really talk about an age long gone!

Nothing new is happening with me. I'm still on the same track I was and will be for a while. I have a meeting with my boss tomorrow that could change the way things are. Unfortunately, my coworker (who is very unhappy and hates her job) may have changed my outlook with her meeting with him today. My other coworker said that she went straight to his office this morning and the door went shut. Not a good sign. She was out last week due to illness. The week before, she called me and cried about how miserable she is. It's probably for the best, but my boss's outlook on my work schedule may change drastically because of it. I guess we'll soon see.

3 comments:

Tasha said...

Party planning is always stressful, even when it's a kids party (that probably makes it more stressful).

When I picture retirement, I can't help but imagine old ladies playing bingo and shuffleboard. I'm hoping to be a very active retiree...but that is too far off on the horizon for me to focus on. I guess I'll just keep doing the 401K/IRA thing and pray for the best.

Enchantress said...

I guess I just miss the obvious, but it's true! Party planning is stressful. Duh! Where's my dunce cap? ;)

Oh, bingo! I hadn't even thought of bingo...and when you mentioned shuffleboard, I couldn't help but think about horse-shoes and checkers. Hah! Can I retire this weekend?

Dee said...

I don't make the bed in the morning or put the shoes in the closet either
but then again, there's no one else to trip over them but me