Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Barely Breathing and Birthdays

So, after visiting the babe's regular pediatrician, she ended up having pneumonia. That explains the zombie-like state and the lack of appetite. A little antibiotics, albuterol and prednisone later, she's 100% again. Her real doctor also diagnosed her with mild asthma. Well, I guess I can't say I didn't see it coming. She's had episodes with her breathing since birth. At least we can maintain her active lifestyle with regular treatments. She was really scared when he gave us the diagnosis, but has since grown used to the new schedule.

The party was sensational! Truly! She had so much fun. The girls arrived in their "diva gear" and went right to my kitchen table to eat (bagel bites, chips & dip, corn-dog bites, veggies and virgin daiquiris with whipped cream). The drinks were served in plastic wine goblets, which the girls just loved. After eating, they went downstairs to my newly, decorated diva-style basement and sang karaoke for about an hour. They sang alone, together, the same songs and the rest. Indy was running around all over the place. As soon as her sister had the mike, she'd try to take it, then she'd start to cry when her sister wouldn't give it to her. Drama (diva-drama). I video-taped all the girls as well to capture their "moments in the sun" for all eternity.

Once the singing was done, they danced for about ten minutes (disco ball and all), then came back upstairs for cake and present openings. What a haul! As if she didn't need any more crap in her room. I keep threatening to go in there and clean it out....hmm. Now, I think I may just have to.

The girls danced until their parents arrived and departed with super take-home gifts to boot. Ring pops, glow sticks, hair accessories and plastic bling. Why didn't they have parties like this when I was growing up? Each girl also got a prize for performing (most High School Musical and Hannah Montana garbage) Ugh! I'll be glad when she's over that stuff.

My best friend was here for the entire weekend and I nearly fell apart when I had to take her to the airport on Monday. Before she left, I downloaded and created DVDs for all the girls, including her, as a thank you for being there. She was great to have around for moral support (and crowd control). My girls were also thrilled to have their god-mother around. Hubby was great too, but of course, the daddies are different. Honestly, I'm just glad that the babe had a memorable 8th birthday party, I got time with my best friend and all the sick-voodoo seems to have left my house.

2 comments:

Dee said...

wow, memorable is right. sounds like she had the best birthday ever!
Just hope there's no pressure to out-do yourself next year.

Enchantress said...

GC - you know, I'm thinking a small, family get-together is sufficient...but, that's what I'm saying now. Who knows how ambitious I'll feel next year. :)