Thursday, May 15, 2008

No Flights? Plan B

Hubby and I made arrangements months ago to go to Florida for our vacation this summer. We booked our room and all that was left to do was find a decent round trip flight for four folks. I guess decent came and went back in December because the rates have steadily climbed ever since. Our booking to be canceled "free and clear" would have to take place today, otherwise we risk loss (and none of us needs to loose anything else these days). So, we started thinking and came up with a plan B; drive. No, not to Florida, but driving would need to be our mode of transportation for wherever we end up going.

I spent a big chunk of yesterday afternoon canceling our current booking and arranging a new one. We spent a lot of money in just a few minutes time, and we haven't even gone anywhere yet! How does that work? It's all for the greater good, though. It will give me a chance to practice having a decent time away from work without having a stick up my butt the entire time. It will also give me, hubby and my girls great memories to take with us for the rest of their lives...although, Indy would have an equally good time playing at the park. She won't remember a thing (or at least, I don't think that she will).

In other news, my mother resigned from her job of 20+ years because of her new "not too bright/big idiot" boss. He doesn't even supervise her in the same state, and everyone thinks he's the biggest jerk ever. She discussed early retirement and lawsuits with me, yesterday. It was one of the strangest conversations I've ever had with my mother. I hope all of this works out in her favor.

I was talking to my neighbor the other day and we were talking about how quickly summer was approaching and how weird it was that school would be out soon. She said that hers is the "house of summer" where everyone seems to send their kid. I thought that funny because she doesn't see to pay much attention to what her own kids are doing. I guess the neighborhood must trust her enough, though, to send their kids over there (she works from home and that's probably the biggest reason). I can't handle my own, much less everyone else's. I'm glad that there are people in the world who have the patience to deal with mountains of kids.

No comments: