Tuesday, May 20, 2008

"He Danced with Me"

The past few weekends have been really busy for us and this last one was no exception. I got up, got the girls fed and began work on the eldest's hair (washing and hot combing). It was not pretty with the crying and screaming. I hate to do it, but I can't perm her hair anymore. Her eczema just won't allow those chemicals on her scalp. It's so drying, the parts turn flaky and snow white. I won't put her through that again. Of course, burnt ears and necks are no fun either...although, I don't burn nearly as much as my mother burned me. The comb I have is electric and doesn't get nearly as hot.

Hair straight and fabulous, we left to run many errands (white tennis shoes for the babe's dance costume pictures, Kiwi inserts for fabulous high heeled sandals, Loreal Super Blue from Sally Beauty and lunch pick up for kiddlings and mom). We came home, ate and I promptly sent the kids off to bed. Indy was not ready. She jumped and talked for an hour in her bed while her sister slipped off to sleep and I colored my hair. By the time I awakened the babe to put on her costume and get ready for pictures, Indy had tired herself out. We left and she whined the entire way in the car.

I think the pictures are going to turn out terrific (the babe is extremely photogenic). She would strike her pose and then...magic. I love working with her as my subject and she's always so eager to take them. Thirty or so minutes later, we headed back home and Indy was put straight back to bed. This time, she slept.

After I finished my nails, hubby arrived and we began to dress. I had a choice between two dresses and he had already decided a few weeks prior that the floor length was his favorite. To be certain, I tried on both dresses again and that day, he was feeling the knee length with the asymmetrical hem (looks similar to the picture, but mine is not a halter). So, that it is what I wore with my rhinestone silver sandals and my rhinestone shoulder duster earrings. Not too shabby. Hubby said I looked great. We left and dropped the kiddlings off at their grandmother's.

The ball was wonderful and the dinner was amazing. Unfortunately, hubby has another show and couldn't eat the rice or the fabulous chocolate cake for the desert (he was starving by the evening's end). The presentation of the chapter's history was nice, then the dancing began. It's amazing the sort of personality that appears from people when they get out on the floor to "shake their grove things". Hubby is super silly, but a great dancer. Others had obviously had too much to drink and would probably get talked about at church the next day. I wasn't concerned about any of it. I just had fun and with hubby. It was certainly a great time.

We left around 10:30 and picked up our overly tired kids from their grandmother's, stopping a couple of times for hubby to check the grocery store for protein sources. He ended up purchasing some party wings to nibble on before bed (poor guy). We talked about what a great time we'd had and how we have to make sure to do things like it again. Normally when we go somewhere, I ask what his favorite part was. This time, he asked me. I thought the whole evening was great. His favorite part? Our slow dance at the end. Yeah, that was pretty good. A slow dance with your sweetheart is always good.

4 comments:

Dee said...

awww
way to keep that fire burning
your ensemble sounds fierce!

Miss Construed... said...

I wish I could have that connection still with Mine, M...

x rn

Enchantress said...

GC: I'm trying, but it's definitely worth it. Thanks! I felt pretty darn good about myself that night. :)

Miss Construed: You know the only consistency in life is change. Things may seem really stinky right now, but you just wait. Life can flip-flop on you and send you places you never dreamed of. I know you're day is coming...it just may not happen the way you think it will.

Icey said...

Hey momma!

I use to use an electric comb on the babe's hair but then I bought a flat iron...and the straight hair heavens opened up!!! The babe's hair is super thick, the flat iron cut the pressing time nearly in half and the results last longer! I bought a generic one from Sally's...love!