Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Driving Along in my Automobile

Monday was the big day! After work, we went over to the credit union to sign our papers (after arranging with the dealer to take the car over there, earlier, for inspection). Our loan officer who approved us for our loan was off-site for a meeting, so we worked with someone totally different. She was great, however, and the dealer told me that she fell in love with my car during the inspection. At the time of signing, she mentioned again what a great little car I'd chosen and how she might consider a purchase as well.

Around 2:45, we left the credit union and spoke to the dealer's wife about meeting us at the lot. She had to pick up her kids and we did the same. To pass a bit more time, we stopped at the Big Lots in the area and picked up supplies for the new car (Wheel and Rim wipes, stain removers, vinyl cleanser and snacks for the kids). More signing at the dealership, an exchange of keys and the check and it was a done deal.

I drove home with the kids, who are still completely in love with the sun roof (did I mention the signature comes with a sun roof? Love it!) and later to the gas station to fill up and wash the car (as I said, we got a storm so the dealer's detailing was completely lost). I spruced her up and picked up some Indian food for dinner (chicken saag, basmati rice, garlic naan and chicken samosas). On initial observation, I've determined that I am not lost in the crowd anymore. Being in a grey Sentra for nearly ten years has made me blend with the road. Big trucks are not my friends because they just can't see me. My anxiety for driving has been inched up year after year with the amount of 18-wheeler near misses I've had. For the first time in a long time, people can see me and they actually look with a bit of wonder in their eyes. How curious!

The kids ate and went to bed. Hubby and I sat up to eat our international delights and talk a bit more. He's not going to do his last show (he just informed me) because we have pressing relationship matters. Man, I hope we can get through these.

I know a lot of it comes down to me getting the stick out of my butt and letting things ride. I'm looking back now and it seems I find reasons to argue. Why am I doing that? Nothing good can come of it and it isn't productive. Pick your battles, right? Also, I want to be on a more friendly level with my hubby. We focus so much on tasks that we don't spend enough time developing our friendship. Another goal I'd like to see accomplished. There's also the matter of support in family interests. He's huge on the yard development, while I'm the cultural princess. If I can help him more with the landscaping goals, he'll be there for me when it's time to go to the ballet (hopefully!)

Finally, can we please find airline rates for a vacation this year that won't send us into the poor house? And, whenever we do find said rates, have a vacation free from drama and unnecessary stress. I don't feel that I'm asking for too much. Not at all. We can have these things because we work hard and deserve them. My hubby is the most wonderful man I know and I'm not going to sacrifice that to trivial things. We will have what we want. Amen.

4 comments:

Dee said...

hurray for your new car! Congratulations.

As for airfare--I don't know. SOunds like a lot of families are gonna be camping in the woods this year.

Enchantress said...

I think you might be right...or driving to the local park for daily picnics. That's about all the vacation I can afford. ;)

Miss Construed... said...

I'm with GC; well done on the new car!

I can almost see you driving along with the sunroof open!

Enchantress said...

Oh, Miss Construed! I love that part! It's extra great because there's no hair to mess up anymore. ;)