Monday, December 03, 2007

A Busy, Busy Weekend

Friday evening, I thought I might rest and hang out with the family for a few hours. Dinner would be served and I would enjoy conversation with my hubby and children about the day's events. Oh, not to be! Instead, we ate dinner at the speed of light and then I rushed my oldest to a birthday party. I was hoping that pounds of snow they were predicting wouldn't arrive until after and I was fortunate. I picked the babe up (who was happy, but exhausted after the evening's event - skate party) and scoured the city for Honey Buns for my hubby. He was craving them and, truth be told, they're his passion. Everywhere we went, we couldn't find any. Oh, we found Starcrunch, Pecan Spinwheels, Triple Fudge Brownies, Nutty Bars, Zebra cakes, Devil Squares and a host of other Little Debbie treats, but no Honey Buns. I knew I would surely be able to find them at Wal-Mart but I just can't bring myself to shop there on weekends during the holidays. That place becomes more than a zoo. It's a dang jungle!

I came home empty handed, but he wasn't disappointed. He was just glad we arrived home safely, as the snow was just beginning to fall upon our arrival. It would have been nice to drift off to sleep and wake up leisurely the next morning, but no way. This family had plans.

So we awakened around 5:30 (an entire hour later than I usually get up) and got the kids up and ready for the day. It was time for both cars to have a tune-up and oil change. When I went to let the dog out back for his morning walk, I was greeted with several inches of white fluff on the deck. It was beautiful and a perfect entrance for the month of December; however, I was not prepared for how cold it was nor was I prepared for the mess the roads were in. We pretty-well crawled to the Goodyear location at 25 mph and what normally takes ten minutes, took nearly a half hour. Hubby's car was first. Three hours later, the work was done and we were heavy with purchases from various stores. My car was next and three additional hours later, we were back at Goodyear, even heavier with packages. I think we've gone above and beyond with our Christmas shopping (I thought we were done?).

Sunday, we went to church then ended up at the Ashley Furniture store making a purchase on a new couch, love seat and recliner. They will be beautiful in our home! I'm excited because we haven't purchased new seating furniture in years. It was desperately needed since our couch literally has white, fluffy stuffing being birthed from the cushions. Not good. The kids watched movies as we tidied up the house, then downstairs we went; hubby to paint and me to assemble the new t.v. stand for our projection t.v.

Two and a half hours later, the stand was completed (and not too shabby, if I do say so myself). We ate dinner and hurried to bed. I'm hoping that this weekend I'll actually have some down time. I'm not a fan of the rushing around to do everything under the sun on my only two days off. Sometimes, though, that's exactly what you have to do in order to get anything done. I hate to say it but I wasn't at my nicest this weekend. TOM is on the way and I was more than a bit short-tempered with hubby and the kiddlings. I had to apologize more than once to everybody for being a total witch at times. Hubby was very patient. I think he's learning to read the signs.

2 comments:

Tasha said...

Wow that was quite the weekend. I know how it feels to squeeze everything into a 48-hour window while trying to relax.

I'm so jealous of the snow!! That's what I miss the most about home. Down here, the snow we get just isn't the same.

Icey said...

Girl I was tired just reading about your weekend!!

I will say it again...Yall can have that snow!