Thursday, September 27, 2007

My Love Affair with Amy Winehouse

I've been playing her music non-stop for days and I still can't get enough. Both albums, Frank and Back to Black are genius! She's amazing to me. I've also been thinking and concerned about her health. How many amazing artists of old are no longer here because of substance abuse issues? Really, too many to count. I enjoy a drink just as much as the next guy but, to take it to levels where you black out or completely pass out? I just can't fathom. Is it fun? Is there some sort of charge out of laying in your own vomit for hours or not remembering what you did for several days in a row? I suppose I'll never understand but, truth be told, I'm drawn to the tragic artists. They seem to be so "in touch" with their souls and (probably) their pain.

Donny Hathaway is another one of those tragic artists that I love. Seriously, I'm having an affair with him too and have been for years. I can only listen to him in spurts though because I always cry. Always. He touches my heart and the weak places within me. I'm not sure how many people experience this with music and I probably sound like a raving lunatic but, it is what it is.

If Amy's tour hadn't been cancelled, I think I would have found my way to a venue to see her. It's too bad that so many artists bypass Utah because I'm sure she has a large fan base here. I suppose if she'd had a show in Las Vegas, I would have driven the six hours to see her. Interestingly, the seeing her is a separate issue altogether. She isn't the most pleasant thing to see in her current state.

From her Stronger Than Me video, I see a healthy, bluesy, ballsy chick rocking the hip-hop jazz for all it's worth. She's curvy, vivacious and healthy. In Rehab, she's a bit smaller, but echoes the girl bands of the 60's with perfection. I am so not crazy about the bouffant add-on but cat-eyes never go out of style. By Tears Dry on Their Own, I'm reminded of the Christian Children's Network advertisements and the children who haven't eaten in days. She's literally wasting away. If she were to perform for a live world tour, would she have the energy to do it? People who are in top condition like Janet Jackson and Madonna have postponed and cancelled shows from just exhaustion alone. Granted, they do a lot of dancing and spectacle and I doubt Amy would have as much flash. Still, I'm really hoping that she takes the time to focus on her health and doesn't become a musician statistic. It would be such a loss.

1 comment:

Dee said...

I've thought about it for a bit myself. I agree with you.

But just think, her life must be pretty painful if lying in her own vomit for hours seems like it might be more fun.