Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Virtual Positive Energy...Get You Some!


Thanks to all of you for your virtual positive energy. It must have done something because there was peace in the valley, yesterday. The kids were great (the babe brought home a good behavior award), the baby didn't fuss when we changed our regular schedule to take her big sister on a play-date after work, and hubby was a gem! A beautiful bouquet of flowers and a dessert to share (strawberry shortcake) after dinner. Then, lovely conversation (minus flames and stress) followed by an evening passion.

Yesterday was supposedly the big gasoline walkout. I bought my gas on Monday so, not really trying to boycott, I just didn't need any gas. There are analysts who feel these boycotts only make a slight difference in gas prices and I believe that just goes back to how dependent we are to oil. If enough people avoided the tanks on these designated days, a boycott could work in driving down prices substantially. The problem is that there aren't enough people participating and there probably never will be. That's why big oil businesses are never worried when someone gets it into their head to boycott. Again, we're just too dependent. It requires a lifestyle change. If you're not too far from work to walk, then walk. If your mass transit systems work, take the bus, trolley or train. Lord knows I've been begging for the option to telecommute for years. If I could, I would certainly be doing my part. I never go anywhere, really, besides work. And now, I will climb down off of my soap box.

Hubby asked me what I plan to do while he's gone next week because, "I don't know what the hell I'm going to do, " he said.

I told him that my plan was to keep the kids busy and, in turn, keep myself busy. I then reminded him that he'll have the opportunity to see friends and family.

"Family? Yes," he said, "But so-called friends didn't support me, remember?"

Hmm. I'd sort of forgotten. When my hubby and I got together over a decade ago now, he began taking me around to meet his friends. They were less than supportive on how serious he'd gotten with me and how quickly it had all happened. They would tell him that he shouldn't settle down and would constantly beg him to go out with them to the clubs and troll for women. He didn't and wouldn't. I remember one incident in particular where we went to his friend's wedding and many of his coworkers were there. If looks could kill! They certainly did not want me there and didn't hide their disapproval of me. I just wasn't what they thought my hubby should be with. Thankfully, the reception was a lot nicer and I had to be convinced to go, after the cold shoulder I had gotten with everyone.

Not every coworker was like this. There were a couple (interestingly, the ones that were married or in a relationship) that were genuinely happy for him and actually spoke to me. I really haven't thought about this in a long time and after our discussion last night, I understand why he's not so eager to see them. I still wonder if he'll see the old girlfriend...

4 comments:

Miss Construed... said...

Remember she's an Ex for a reason...

And the fact he chose to stand by You when you first met and not go out trolling for women with his 'buddies'?

Speaks volumes!!

Enchantress said...

I think you should move to the states, sit on the opposite side of my mirror and tell me these things daily. ;) Thanks for the encouragement, as usual.

astrologymemphis.blogspot.com said...

Glad things are better, and hope they stay that way. I have to agree with rn buffoon. He'd be a fool to risk your relationship. And if he needs any encouragement in that direction, you can remind him how much child support you'll get! :-)

Dee said...

what was the catalyst for the change? If you can put it in a bottle and sell it, many happy couples would thank you.

I am disappointed, but not really shocked, at the chilly reception you received when your husband declared his love for you. That was disrespectful not just to you but to him as a man who knows what's good for him and what the worth of a good woman is. That makes me stop and think and reconsider how I will treat the significant others of my friends and relatives. Just because he/she seems quick on the draw doesn't mean he/she won't be happy.