Monday, May 21, 2007

Playing the Role of Single Mother

It's been weird and lonely not having hubby around. He flew out on Saturday and yours truly tried hard to hold back the water-works but was oh, so unsuccessful. I did wipe the tears away before getting back into the car with the kids. I really didn't have to...the babe turned into a fountain herself as we pulled out of the airport parking lot.

He arrived safely and called once before leaving Atlanta (his layover city) and once when he arrived in Nashville. I received another call, once he had his rental and was on his way to the hotel. He hard night, after taking his friends around town. All they wanted to do is drink and club hop. He's just not that type of person anymore. He called again when he'd left them downtown and told them to take a taxi home. He wound up back at the hotel on the phone with me again, a bit sad and a little miffed that he still had six more days to go. The last call was to say good night...that he missed me and loved me. His sadness was palpable.

This all changed yesterday, when he got to see his brother (who he hasn't seen in years). This brother is married with two little children whom hubby and I have never met in person. Hubby was so happy to see them and the kids. His spirits were rejuvenated and the sadness in his voice was nearly absent when I talked to him. I told him that once he started seeing friends and family he'd feel better and (of course!) I was right. He even spoke a bit about how it would be nice to live closer to his brother. I remained silent and he heard my silence and responded:

"I know this is more my feelings since your sort of anti-south." I wouldn't say anti-south, but I really have no desire to go back. It was hard enough living there the first time, but to do it again and subject my children to some of it's backward mentality? No, thank you.

Meanwhile, we've (the girls and I) have had episodes: the babe has been "acting out" a bit since her father left. Yesterday, I made it very clear that whether daddy was here or not, she couldn't just do whatever she wanted. I also reminded her that if she thinks he won't know, she's sadly mistaken. He's asking about her with every call and I give him a full report. I hope that she heard me last night because I don't want anymore phone calls from school (yes...I got one on Friday...ugh!). There are two full weeks of school left (OMG! I can't believe it!) and I don't want her ending on a sour note. She's really a good kid and I know she was "acting out" as a result of her sadness, but she's got to suck-it-up and be the good kid that I know she is. She's not like some kids who don't have a father or only have a weekend dad or a dad who travels and is gone months at a time.

Hubby left me a "honey-do" list and I've yet to begin. There's a new shade to put up in the living room. We have a window-seat that's quite lovely and the dog and cats make themselves very comfortable there, through out the day. Currently, burgundy curtains hang there getting covered in animal hair. The shade will add beauty to the living room and a break to the drapes; however, I suppose we'll be dusting this shade regularly because I don't think the animals will be giving up their hang out on account of a window-covering change. I'm also supposed to take down the border in our office downstairs, tidy up the "blue room" (the extra bedroom where my brothers-in-law will stay while here this summer) and mow the lawn. What?! Yeah, never done that before in my life. Never had to. Pretty sure the lawnmower is going to blow up after I use it.

Then there's the normal stuff that hubby attends to because I always have to see about the kids; litter change, garbage day, house cleaning. You know? I've really got it good. I hear about my coworkers hubbies all the time and mine is in a league all his own. He may make me absolutely nuts sometimes, but he's a good egg. I'm missing him lots (and not just because he scrubs the toilets). ;)

3 comments:

Dee said...

good egg lol

tell us about the South. What's wrong with it? I'd like to hear about this backward mentality.

Enchantress said...

I think that's a great blog title (perhaps tomorrow or later today)! ;)

It's totally an opinion and how it relates to my own experiences. There were good things about it (I would never have met my hubby or bff, for example), but I'm a western states girl at heart.

Miss Construed... said...

I can so relate with the Babe acting up at the moment; my own little fella has been off school for the last four days suspended. Age five.

I'm meaning to write a post about it in the next few days...

I'm sure it's only cos She's missing her Daddy. As are you both by the sounds of it; just think of the good time you'll have when Hubby gets home!