Tuesday, October 11, 2005

"We all sleep alone." - Cher

Sunday was one of the best days me and my family have had for months...and we didn't really do that much. My hubby was home by 3:00 am Sunday morning and his "fear" was magically gone. He woke me up and we spent the next hour and a half in bliss. Sleeping in would have been terrific if our daughter hadn't kept coming in, waking us up every twenty minutes. I finally got up, got her some fruit loops and a movie, then came back to bed. By 9:30, we were up and getting dressed. We drove to my girlfriend's house in Salt Lake and dropped off the babe, then we headed to the Utah Massage College for a couple's massage. Unfortunately, the wait was listed as one hour and a half, so we headed out (who wants to sit around that long, only to wait an additional half hour for someone to come down and get you..."Not I, said the cat").

We ended up at the movies and saw Serenity. It was fabulous! (One of my coworkers lent me the series Firefly about two weeks ago and begged me to watch.) I was hesistant, since Sci-fi is more up my husband's ailey, but gave in and watched the only season it was on the air, with three unaired episodes in the collection. I was hooked! By the time the movie was released, I had invested myself into the characters and needed desperately.

Hubby didn't get to see the shows with me, but felt like he could follow the story okay. He liked it, but not nearly as much as I did. Afterwards, we went to get his oil changed. Sounds exciting, I know, but it was nice to have thirty minutes or so just to talk. When the car was finished, we picked up the babe and headed back to our city. Everyone was so tired, so we all took a nap...well, the babe took a nap. I took advantage of my hubby's new-found courage and ravaged him for an hour. No time to pass out, we took the babe to see the Wallace and Gromit movie (which turned out to be really cute).

We picked up dinner at Noodles & Company, then headed home. That evening, after the babe was tucked into to bed, we watched the recent version of The Amityville Horror. I read the novel back in Elementary and loved the original movie. This was well done, with some changes made that I thought were unncessary and some that were perfect. I was pretty well freaked out by the time we went to bed, but happy I didn't have to sleep alone.

Monday was emotional and heart-renching. Hubby was leaving for Vegas and he was so not "feeling it" anymore. He kept saying how he wished we could go with him, regardless of the fact that he was so excited a month ago. He also said that, although it is probably his favorite city, he just didn't want to exprience it again without us. He called several times during the day and I called him last night. He was trippin' over his room because of all the mirrors:

"Honey, the bed headboard is a solid mirror across the wall, there are mirrors on the side and there's a mirror over the bed."
"So, what are you wearing?"
"Nothing...and I'm starring at a dark, bald man with a hard...too bad you're not here"

We were on the phone for about forty minutes, when my calling card ran out. It felt like when we were going together and talked all the time. It helped me sleep then and it helped me fall asleep last night. I suspect we'll have to do this until he gets home. Even though he's normally not there at night, it's so different when he's completely out of town. This is also the longest we will have been separated (before, it was my three-day stint back home to Nashville for my bestfriend's wedding, back in July).

I'm trying to occupy my time, but I think about him a lot. He said that he thought about me the entire ride down to Vegas (about five hours with an hour gained PST, once you hit the Nevada border). In some ways, I do hope he does well on his testing and in others, I hope he doesn't. I don't know if I'm ready to live in the desert and leave behind seasons, the mountains and my mother. Growing up in L.A., I didn't have seasons and it was fine, but once we moved to the southeast and I got a taste of what the weather is supposed to do, I loved it! Also, my daughter and my mother have a great relationship. My grandmother and I were practically strangers, until we had to move in with her for a while. I learned to really like and love her and I'd hate to see my daughter and mother become strangers (my mother likes to travel, but she hates the heat). I don't think she'd make visits very often. Finally, the Wasatch Mountains are magnificent! They bring me such comfort and are so beautiful. I'd hate to leave them, too.

I suppose we'll have to wait and see what happens. If things go the way he wants them to, we'll have to sell our house and uproot our entire lives...I really enjoy stability, but I'm not afraid of change. It's the damn moving process I don't like. Ugh! Even thinking about it depresses me. Packing, wrapping, shifting, lifting...I'll shell out the money to pay for a moving company, this time. Hmm. I guess, if I'm talking about moving, part of me has already accepted that I may have to. How about that...

No comments: