Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Surprise! I'm Home!

Thursday of last week went by pretty fast. I spoke to my hubby at around 1:00, who had finished his in-person interview and was feeling pretty confident. He said that he was going driving, then would hit the grocery store to pick up items for the hotel room. His plan was to leave Friday morning, first thing (around 5 am). I was happy that there would be only one more night to be without him.

Thursday night, I'd gotten me and the babe all settled in for the night. She was watching a Scooby Doo movie and I was in my room, watching a horror (hey, it's horror season, so I'm going to wear them out if I can). After a while, she comes running into the bedroom:

"Mama, come in the living room. I've got to show you something."
"-----, I don't have any clothes on."
"Just, please come into the living room, okay?"

So, I get myself up and head down the hallway. When I turned the corner into the kitchen, there was my hubby. I was so excited! He had parked in the driveway, so as not to give himself away (usually, I know he's home when I hear the garage door opening and the door from the garage to the house banging open). Once he parked in the driveway, he came in through the front door and quickly hushed up our daughter, so he could surprise me. It was a good trick, considering our five year-old has trouble keeping secrets.

He brought home plenty of souvenirs and gifts for both my daughter and I, then more goodies for my mother and sister. He also bought himself two suits (he's never owned a suit in his life! I can't wait to see him in one). They're gorgeous and look like they were tailor made (I'm sure he had to have an alteration or two for his size). He also dumped out the goodies from the sex store. Of course, our daughter caught sight of one and quickly asked, "What's that, mommy?" "Why can't I see it, mommy?" "Is it a toy?" Boy, oh boy. The older they get, the more inquisitive. We quickly hid "the toys" after the inquisition.

Friday would have been really nice, if I could have stayed home with him. He worked on things around the house, then had to leave for work. Saturday, we ran errands together and had a wonderful time just being in each other's company. I'm not sure what happened Sunday, but when I came back from church, he was sure in a mood. I woke him up and apparently too early because he was grouchy and snappy. Then, we spent the next several hours not speaking to each other. He slept on the couch most of the day, while my tired butt tried to entertain our little one. She mainly watched movies and brought me "poems" she was writing (she doesn't actually write them, but more or less reads in her mind what she thinks her scribbles say). Sometimes, the scribbles rhyme.

Monday was better and we talked on the phone a bit. I guess maybe, we'd spent to much time up under each other over the weekend. It happens...your space is compromised and you start feeling claustrophobic. That's the only thing I can think of. I know I'm extra needy these days, so maybe he just really needed a moment. Whatever it was, I'm glad the mood/funk didn't last long. In fact, I stopped by a couple of stores after work yesterday and got fussed at when I got home for not answering my phone. So, needy is needed by the needy too.

No comments: