Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Sisters

There isn't a whole lot going on, right now. Just plugging away at work and trying not to strangle my out-of-state co-workers who don't seem to have a clue about what's going on. Last weekend was restful and uneventful. My hubby is still working overtime like it's going out of style. The babe was with me during UEA (sort of like in-service in other states) and we were pretty much tired of each other by Sunday morning. I was glad school was open and back in session on Monday.

I feel like with every passing weekend, I get a little bigger. Before long, I'm going to look like I'll topple over. I'm sure people will stop me in the street to say, "Can I get you a wagon/wheel barrow/shopping cart?" I can't even remember what it's like to be sexified in a dress and four inch heels. Or bust out in the tight jeans that you know make you look like mines would go off. Hah! I guess I won't know that feeling until sometime in the spring of next year (God willing).

I got a note from one of my sorority sisters. It seems they are making plans for homecoming which I will miss out on again. I'm only home (Nashville) every other year and this was my year so, I won't be there again until 2007. I was thinking about where my life might be in 2007; I'll be a mother of, not one but two girls. One will be 7, the other 2 (holy crap!). I will have been married (Lord willing, again) 9 years and in my home (if we're still in Utah) 6 years. I hope I would have changed jobs by then, but if not, I'd be hitting the 6 year mark with them too. Yikes! And, I would be 32 years old. Seems like a lot for a 32 year-old, but I still haven't done everything I want to, yet. I miss my sorors, but I think I couldn't handle being up under them all the time. There were 18 of us and that's a lot of estrogen and female drama. Granted, we are older but some things never change.

I also thought about what it would be like to go and see them if my family and I have moved to Vegas by then. Would I be different? Would a new city change me even more than I've already changed? Could I relate to them anymore? When I met some of them for lunch this past summer, it was so nice but there were things I just couldn't relate to anymore (and a lot of things I didn't want to). We (black women) have a tendency to be very closed-minded about the world. Because I didn't grow up and stay in one place, my outlook is so different. When they showed no tolerance with something, I couldn't understand why.

We're getting ready for our Halloween potluck at work and people are buzzing about what to wear and how to dress up on Monday. My costume is done, except for one minor detail. I was running ideas in my head about make-up and how to pull it off. I think I'll get up earlier that morning, just in case I have to sandblast my face and start again. It's fun to stray from the norm and I'm looking forward to being resident photographer that day. I'm also bringing my speciality - Kahlua cake...yum!

No comments: