Thursday, June 24, 2010

The Small Adventures of Life

I have several coming up this summer and into the fall. It's important to have something to look forward to...to break the monotony of life and experience something fun, new, and adventurous. For July, we have the holiday (of course) but we're also planning a get together for friends and family during the middle part of the month. A southern-style fish-fry is on tap and I am too excited! My contributions will be the spaghetti (very southern to eat it with fried catfish nuggets) and fried chicken (by request of hubby, who has been hankering for some for months). There will, of course, be the sides and desserts a-plenty. Since we plan on a big group, a lot of food is a good idea anyway. This is a huge deal for us because we haven't entertained at our house in a very long time.

Part of the reason is because of our kitchen. It is, in a nutshell, prehistoric and I am now utterly embarrassed to have people look at it...which leads to another adventure (I hope!); The Reconstruction of the Crappy Kitchen. I'm talking new floors, new cabinets, built-ins, design touches the works! Then, I'll be one entertaining heifer! Meanwhile, we will have our guests cloistered on the deck and in the backyard, rather than milling around in the unappealing kitchen.

For the end of July, hubby and I are getting away together. I am sooooo looking forward to that trip. Any time we can run away from our children for a little while is great for me. We can relax, decharge, and enjoy each others company to the fullest. We use this time to remember why we're a couple and why we're still married.

August is birthday month for the eldest. She is set on having another sleepover but this time, she wants a "pajama party." How is this different from a sleepover, you might ask? Well, the girls will be in their pajamas the entire time. If I take them to the grocery store? Pajamas; To the mall? Pajamas; the skating rink? Pajamas. I'm still trying to determine how many girls can participate because my car is only so big and I have a booster seat still for the youngest (the law says until 80 pounds or 8 years old, in this state). That thing really takes up a lot more room than it should. I've told her that, because she is getting older, we may not have the "staples" for food items. I thought I might have a sandwich or food tray catered by Jason's Deli, Chik-fil-a or Target and, maybe, do an ice-cream bar instead of regular birthday cake. I've got some time to come up with something fun.

The end of August will bring a concert for the entire family (my immediate, along with my mother and sister). We are going up into the mountains for this concert, which should be a ton of fun. Outdoor venue listening is far superior to me than being trapped in an enclosed amphitheater. I would much rather enjoy the beautiful scenery around me while listening to great music than to deal with the foul smells of people sitting too close to me who need a reminder in hygiene. After the concert, well will stay at a rented condo for the night.

Then, of course, September is vacation month. That will be the grand finale to the summer and (hopefully) the best part. September is the month of change and I hope that the changes are positive and forward thinking. I do not want a repeat of some Septembers past. I am grateful that the year, up to this point, has been really fulfilling. Bring on the adventures!