Friday, June 26, 2009

You Thrilled Me

I can't let this day go by without commenting on one of the greatest (albeit eccentric) entertainers of all time. My first encounter with the King of Pop was second grade. I had a little record player that I played 45s on, mainly record/book combos. I remember finding the Off the Wall album in my parents collection and, even though my player sometimes skipped the best parts, I learned every song on that album. I envisioned myself meeting this amazing singer one day (who didn't live very far from me).

By third grade, I was rocking my Thriller cassette nearly as much as my Off the Wall album. He was the greatest to everyone in my class. No one had anything negative to say about Michael Jackson. I remember the red jackets that adorned several of my male classmates and there wasn't one soul who didn't yearn for a sparkling glove. Good or bad, right or wrong, the impact he made upon our world will last forever. I hope you find the peace in death that you couldn't find in life, Michael. Rejoice, for you are free.

3 comments:

Tasha said...

I'm still in shock and saddened. I really believe that MJ was a very tortured genius. He so badly wanted to be like the rest of us, but knew that he couldn't. It's all quite tragic and he will be missed. He was my favorite artist and yep...I had (still have, actually) the jacket and the glove. I hope he's found peace with the angels.

Enchantress said...

I think we'll all be able to find some closure, once all the autopsies are complete and the funeral happens. I envision something akin to Princess Diana's; however, the keeper of his estate (whoever that may be) may have other plans.

Enchantress said...
This comment has been removed by the author.