Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Popularity Can Be Profitable

My hubby has picked up two, additional clients for personal training. He is totally getting paid! It's nice to have the extra income (and it will be super lovely to have it as spending money on our vacation in a couple of weeks) but the trade off? I have to wait until the wee hours to see him. I've told him this and he claims that, because of the way he's scheduling his clients, we'll still get plenty of time together. I know I shouldn't complain. There are plenty of people who have husbands who don't work and just plain don't give a damn. Mine has always worked like a friggin dog.

I suppose this is why he's so retirement focused. He wants to build up to a nice nest-egg for our "after life", so to speak. One where we can enjoy each other and not worry about financial woes. I appreciate that thought process, truly. It's something my own father never thought to do and now suffers daily for it. I think, in this suffering economy, more people are taking stock of their future and trying to assess what are priorities and what aren't. We're also being more creative with our spending. With our new habits, I hope (when things finally get better) we don't revert back to bad habits; but, history tells us a lot, doesn't it.

5 comments:

Dee said...

I'm going to be real frank

-people with husbands who refuse to work need to get divorced. Productivity is the minimum requirement. Whether it be self-employment, working in the home, or outside the home, it's a requirement. If a woman wants someone to take care of, there's plenty of children who need fostering/adopting. Even in a male dominated society, women are expected to do something. So how can a man not work?

-There's nothing wrong with complaining. It is a way of communicating your needs. People who don't complain can become resentful and the other person cannot know how they feel. As a more experienced person than myself, you know even better than I do how important communication is.

-not everyone lives to see their retirement. It's best to have something put away but we all have to draw a line somewhere. My aunt decided not to draw her social security at 62, preferring to take a higher payment at 65. She died 1 month short of her 65th birthday. She didn't collect a cent. We have no guarantees. There is only now.

-I think you will do great with your new habits. Together you can accomplish anything!

Miss Construed... said...

Hey M

I sent you an email today; of some female body builders. Hope your Hubby does well in his new outlet as a personal trainer; but I just hope he doesn't take any women clients of his to the same extremes; then again, they would certainly be competitive! (You'll understand better when you see the email!)

Take care

rn x

Enchantress said...

Well put, GC. I have a best friend who would do well to read everything you've put down, here. I may spend time posting about him today. You've inspired me.

Miss Construed - UGH! I just saw the email and those women are awful! They are the poster children for steroids, seriously! You know, when we went on our trip to Washington last year, I saw a couple of women like this. That particular show didn't test for steriods (even though my husband entered as a natural contender). I saw things that were utterly frightening and your email was reminiscent of that for sure. I guess, though, if it makes them happy...

Tasha said...

I swear we live parallel lives. D is beginning to build a client base doing personal training. The extra $ definitely is nice. Be glad he's willing to put in extra time to ensure your financial comfort, especially in these times.

Enchantress said...

Tasha - Seriously?! I didn't know "D" was a personal trainer, too. Parallel lives? Truly!