Friday, June 19, 2009

Total Drama, but We're Here!

Wednesday afternoon after work was probably one of the hardest afternoons of my life. Next to leaving my first born at the hospital after I was discharged, this is probably next in line. I can't get into all the details because they are not my details to share. I will just say this; I am not opposed to chemical castration. It's a good thing we were going on vacation the next day. I really needed it.

At 4:30am Thursday morning, my household was busy with everyone skittering around, getting ready to leave. We left around 5:20am (really wishing we'd left at 5:00am). No matter. We arrived at the airport in plenty of time, found a space next to the shuttle stop and hopped on, headed for the terminal. We made it...to a line that looked about a mile long. We were fortunate, though. People must be getting more savvy about the airline kiosks. The line moved along quickly and we were done checking in within about ten minutes.

We boarded our South.West flight to Denver with ease. Settled into our unreserved seats and had a good ole time for about an hour. Hubby, with the girls and me on an aisle seat across from him by myself. Sweet! In Denver, we grabbed breakfast at McDonald's then hoped on our next flight to Orlando. Two hours and 44 minutes later, we were still circling the airport. Why? Oh, a massive storm just happened to hit a few minutes before our arrival. Any lighting seen within five miles of an airport and the airport gets closed. Did you know that? We didn't either.

Running out of gas at 10,000 feet is not cool, so off to Fort Myer for a fill-up. We hung around their airport, in the plane, for about thirty minutes (within that time, I learned a little more about my seatmates. A grandmother and her granddaughter, returning from a funeral in Wyoming. The granddaughter was quite charming) then back up in the air to get to Orlando. Via a detour route, we finally arrived in Orlando at 7:00pm...three hours later than our scheduled landing time.

Missing the first Hertz shuttle (because it was just too dang full) we caught the next one to pick up our car. Hubby's driving a 2008 Hond.a Accord. It's burgundy with cream/tan interior. The girls love it! Indy calls it "our red car".

Riding along on the speedy toll road is great...until you hit the tolls. My MSN instructions only mentioned one toll booth but, actually, there were three. Nice. Good thing we thought to bring lots of quarters. The rental has a pass on the window, but we weren't really sure how to use it. We'll be doing a bit of research later today or tomorrow because our plan is to venture back to Orlando this weekend (Sunday and then Monday, maybe).

It's now 8:30pm, Thursday evening. My girls are tired and hungry and we're all just ready to check in and be done with the never ending day. The Daytona Beach Regency resort was to be our final destination, but when we arrived, our desk clerk informed us that there was no room in the inn. Oy! But, never fear! They booked us next door at the OceanWalk Resort. What a good God I serve! Seriously? Our timeshare? Yes!! Hubby and I were ecstatic! You see, we tried to book here earlier in the year, but it was full. So, we arranged for the next best thing. Daytona Regency rated well and was within our budget, but to be able to stay where we're familiar with everything is a nice treat. Oh, did I mention? They upgraded us to a two-bedroom condo with separate entrances. Sweet! We can't even hear the kids when they're acting like monkeys!

The main area has a living room with Murphy bed, 52" t.v., full kitchen, laundry facilities, king-sized master bedroom with 32" t.v., walk-in closets, garden-jetted tub, walk-in shower, and ocean view. The separate room has a kitchenette, 19" screen t.v., two queen-sized beds and pool-side view. We are in heaven and totally teaching our daughter about the virtue of patience and what it can bring you.

Last night? We ate at Bubba Gump's which was pretty tasty. We strolled the Ocean walk area a bit before heading home. It was late, but I made the girls shower and get fresh before bed. They were very grateful for their shower. Seems the humidity factor didn't really hit home until after they'd showered and realized they really needed it. Hubby and I relaxed in the garden tub (gotta get me one of these!). He tried to pick us up some drinks down at the bar in the lobby, but the bartender had announced "last call", just before he got down there. He was bummed, but she encouraged him to come back tomorrow (today) for her Hurricanes. The tub soaking was still nice without the drinks, but that would have been the icing on the cake. We showered off afterwards, then went to bed (but not to sleep, snicker, snicker).






This morning, I took video and pictures of the resort in the light of day. Indy came in and told me that she slept well and I opened the curtain, so that she could see the ocean:



"Mom, the ocean is so beautiful and shiny," my three year-old announced to me.
I agreed and let her know that she would be swimming in it soon. She's so excited. My eldest is bouncing off the walls! We keep putting her in check, but it doesn't seem to be making much difference. She's just so stinking excited. We keep trying to remind her of things she did here, but she doesn't remember. I hope this time, the memories stick.

Later, we went to visit my grandmother. It was as if she'd aged twenty years, but I suppose it's hard to see someone you know who's always been independent, living in a retirement home. She is completely silver-haired. It amazed me! (she's colored her hair for as long as I can remember). Her nails were painted and that made me happy. I told her she still looked glamorous. I was so glad she knew me and seemed genuinely happy to see all of us. This is the first time Indy has ever met her great-grandmother. Hubby took lots and lots of pictures.


So, why am I typing this post on my holiday/vacation? My hubby just left to go work-out at the gym. He's trying to keep his regime. I understand, but it still makes me sad that he left. He called a few minutes ago to tell me that he's not running away from me and that he's having a good time with all of us, he just wants to try and stay on track. I don't like it, but I get it. I laid on the guilt pretty thick and he actually seemed moved...for a moment, then off he went. Sigh.
When he gets back, I'm hoping we'll hit the beach or hit the pool. The oldest has been worrying us to death about the water. I must admit, I am eager to get in there myself. I also wouldn't mind doing a stroll around town. This really is a pretty place with a lot of good memories for me.

4 comments:

Dee said...

Hi there
did you say "chemical casatration"? Whoa! Real glad it's not your story to tell 'cause that sounds real bad right there.

Well, enjoy this well deserved vacation. And maybe Hubby wouldn't mind letting you take a turn at the gym
*wink wink*

Miss Construed... said...

Hey Enchantress

The resort looks lovely; hope you're all having a great time! (I guess the kids don't get to see the ocean much!)

Enjoy the relaxing...

Enchantress said...

Hi, guys and thanks! I'm back! Will post soon on all the goings on. It was one of our best vacations ever, save a little drama towards the end. Well, with a cross-country trip, there has to be a little drama, right?

Tasha said...

I hope you're enjoying the rest of your vacay...that whole flight debacle sounds terrible.