Thursday, April 24, 2008

The Pacific Northwest and Major Bodybuilding Beefcake Pt. 1

My trip was lovely...for the most part. Hubby and I awoke at 3:30am Friday morning, got ready and finished packing the car with our luggage. We traveled 30 minutes to the airport and got through security almost flawlessly. If "yours truly" had remembered her Carol's Daughter Healthy Hair Butter was in her carry on, it would have been flawless. So, $16.00 into the trash. I was hot! That stuff ain't cheap and I was so getting used to the way it made my hair feel. I'm not ready to order another jar again. I need to save some allowance, first.

Once we made it through security, we headed to the United terminal to wait for hubby's flight to leave. The attendant came on the loud-speaker to announce that the flight was overbooked (now, we know airlines do this but it always kills me how surprised they sound when they announce it) and would anyone take the next flight in exchange for one, round-trip ticket to anywhere in the continental U.S. Hubby was all about it. It would shorten his layover in San Francisco, and he would get to Seattle at the same time. No one counted on weather issues in San Fran. Ugh!

My flight with Southwest was gone and in the air by 10:00...hubby was still in the airport in Salt Lake. I arrived in Seattle at 11:40 am. Hubby didn't get to San Fran until close to 1:00pm. Ultimately, I was hanging out at the airport for hours waiting for him. When he finally deplaned, he looked like he'd been through the ringer, poor guy. We got our car and left for Bellevue with only an hour to get to the event center for his registration. Talk about hectic! I'm trying to navigate with the rental car map while hubby is steering a car he's not used to through mad, Seattle traffic in the rain. Despite the craziness, we made it to the hotel and then to the event center with minutes to spare.

We spent Friday night taking in the sights of the city. Washington is gorgeous! The green was so spectacular (you forget about green when you live in a desert). Lake Washington?Absolutely beautiful and the skylines? Exquisite. My only gripe was that I could certainly feel the humidity. The wind had a bite to it that I hadn't felt since leaving Nashville. Frigid! Other than that, wine to be purchased at grocery stores (what a novel idea? Get a clue, Utah) and the people were very friendly. We ate dinner at an amazing Thai place (Thai Grille)...a hole in the wall where I could swear I saw some one's grandmother in the kitchen cooking. I had the Samara Noodles (Vermicelli noodles with spinach, tofu and peanut sauce). I ate half and then felt like I needed to be rolled outta there.

Being without the kids was hard, at first, but hubby kept reminding me that it was just us. We could do whatever we wanted and not have to worry about car seats, juice, runny noses, crying and people being tired at 8:00pm. We had a glass of wine at 10:30 and didn't go to sleep till after one (we weren't out anywhere, we just weren't sleeping...draw your own conclusions).

After our night of passion, we arose to go to the prejudging session. The venue was quite large with several vendors stationed in the back selling all kinds of stuff. Supplements, replacement meals, sports wear, posing attire you name it. We spent quite a bit of money and I got an up close and personal look at the items these athletes have to purchase and wear. The judging began and the over 70 category was quite the surprise! How about being a 79 year old bodybuilder? If that's what I've got to look forward to, I will be one happy wife in my old age.

No comments: