Friday, June 09, 2006

Omens, Recitals, Movies and Rain


Wow! A lot can happen in a few days.

On the oh, dreaded day (you know the one), I heard on the radio that their were women who were actually trying to "hold off" labor. Excuse me, last time I checked you couldn't suck in or hold in a baby. When I was in labor, all I wanted was the kid out! Babies come when they're gonna come. Good grief! Then, there was the couple in India (I believe) who felt that if they married on a day associated with bad luck, their marriage would only have good luck. Did we have that lesson of opposites on Sesame Street because I think I missed that episode. It's funny how worked up people get over superstitions. The only one that I tend to follow, if that's what you wanna call it, is the don't- put-your-purse-on-the-ground superstition. I don't have much, so I'm not taking any chances of loosing what I got. lol

Hubby is off the next three days and has put in his request at our local grocery store's video counter to "please hold Underworld:Evolution" for us. He has the hook-up with the lady at the counter. We're totally on a first name, I-know-pretty-much-everything-about-your-kids-and-your-recent-divorce basis. We watch the movie and are pleased, but not thrilled with it. We both loved the first one. For me, the first one had such imagination and creative writing, I was excited to hear they were doing a sequel. Alas, it falls into the category of most sequels: "Let's add more CG and action than was in the first one and spin a psuedo story of some sort (with remnants of the first movie) to support it." Hmm. Sorry, guys. You kinda came up short. Still, it was interesting and intriguing enough to keep me watching.

The babe had her dress rehearsal the same day at the city high school. They started, pretty much, on time and seemed really excited to be performing in their costumes for the first time. So cute! But, why oh why does this high school not have air-conditioning? What's that about? One of the mommies told me that they got an estimate and it would be too expensive to install. So, what did they do? Roll a big, portable swamp-cooler to one of the exit doors and turn it on low (loud would have drowned out the dancers' music). WTH? Okay,whatever. I decided then that coming to the recital naked just might have to be an option.

Early on the day of recital (6/7), hubby had to take the dancer to the dentist for sealants. Unfortunately, she's inherited my "groovy" teeth and needs the filler to prevent cavities. It sort of feels like someone putting nail polish or acrylic on your teeth. Then, they sand it down but it's still sort of bumpy and your tongue can't help but to rub over the areas over and over again. According to hubby, she was none to thrilled to have her mouth jammed open with a huge piece of metal and wads of cotton. Before they went, however, her daycare teacher told him, "Can you bring her back?" and the babe was like, "Yeah, daddy. Can I come back?" He was like, "Um...I guess so." So, cute. Who knew she'd do so well. I'm thrilled.

So evening comes, I get home and we head over to the high school (after a quick bath/shower, lube-up and make-up session) and yours truly forgets the entrance tickets. Nice. I was bound to forget something. I had to get the kid ready and made up, get the baby situated, remember the camcorder, remember the digital camera and remember all the stuff I needed for the baby bag. Hubby? Well, he had to go get the dance goddessette her flowers for the performance.

At the high school, I'm sweating buckets and the nice lady at the door (who sees me with the fully dressed, made up dancer) agrees that I must be a parent who had/has a ticket and lets me in. I begin calling hubby. No answer. Call again. No answer. "I know your ass is home, why aren't you answering, dammit!" Okay, this is my daughter's performance, but I'm losing my mind like I'm the one about to go on stage. She starts running around and I immediately make her go and sit with her group (they didn't have to, but she was making me crazy). Finally reach hubby and tell him to bring the tickets. Call my mom. "Call me when you get here, so I can give you your ticket to get in." I had hers in my wallet. I should have put all of them there, dammit!

It's 6:31 and I'm all ready to talk trash about the school being unorganized and getting started late, when the lights suddenly dim and the owner comes to the podium. Cool! It's actually starting on time! She introduces the dance teachers and they're pretty much all fit and gorgeous. I begin to get very jealous and wonder why I didn't stay in dance like I wanted to. The teachers leave and the spot light appears on a girl dressed very much like a big top leader (Tails, minus the top-hat). The music starts and the performance group appears. AMAZING! I had no idea there was so much talent at her school! The program is moving and never lets up for a moment. As soon as a group leaves, the next group is on with only a moment before the music is cued and more dancing begins.

My girl? Totally on her game, looking fabulous in her hot pink, feathers and sequins...showing off her athleticism and skills. The family behind us (probably only mildly aware that we can hear them); "Oh my God, do you see the little black girl? Isn't she the cutest! She's the best one up there." Uh...yeah. Tell me something I don't know? :-) At the end, she comes back to where we're sitting and I present her with a bouquet of flowers. She's so happy. We all go out to the lobby and take pictures of the superstar with her flowers. She's in full pose. What a ham I have.

Yesterday, I got home and hubby wants us all to go to the store. Home Depot. Man! What is it about home improvement stores that makes me want to run through the streets screaming? I really don't like them. I think it's the whole warehouse thing and the potential of large, sharp objects possibly plummeting down on your head. Or maybe it's the fact that I can't identify or even know what 70% of the items are located in these gigantic stores. Whatever it is, I was glad we weren't there long (seems the vacuum I picked up the other day, really isn't all that powerful). We head over to Wally World after and pick up a new vacuum and some other supplies. Then, off to the grocery store to find something for dinner. I picked up a turkey spinach wrap and have some Sun chips to go with it. Not bad, for a store made sandwich. I get the kids to bed and hubby's made me a cocktail to wind down. Ahh!

Today, we're getting some needed rain (needed in my opinion, at least). Those summer-like temps from a few days ago, had me feeling a bit parched. It's the nice kind of rain...big, full drops that come down hard and fast but not so cold outside that you need a coat. You can just enjoy the drops as they hit you. Too bad I can't be at home cuddled up in the window seat watching it. Hubby's home watching the X-files going in and out of sleep, rain a-poundin'. I'm so jealous.

Well, at least we're having our University, catered lunch. We recently heard what's on the menu. Hmmm. I'm planning on getting there early.

2 comments:

Dee said...

well congrats to your little dancer.

re superstitious I'm always knocking on wood so don't feel bad. That purse on the floor think I didn't hear until a few years ago so it's not ingrained yet.

Icey said...

I am so not into superstitions! But I know some people who take most of them far too seriously! Rabbit's foot, throwing salt over their shoulder, et. al.! Whatever!

When I purchased my house I was all over Lowes! I mean I was in there every other day, twice on some days. It is one of my new favorite stores still!

Congrats to the babe!! Also good to read she is doing well in her new school!