Monday, May 08, 2006

Teething and Lost Teeth


Thursday, I picked up my oldest from my sister-in-law's house and she was crying because eating her spaghetti was painful. Her uncle says, "She keeps saying her tooth is bothering her and it hurts to eat," to which I reply, (to her more than to him), "Why aren't you chewing in the back of your mouth like we talked about?"and through the tears and mumbling, I see her bottom tooth just aching to be pulled (she wouldn't let me all last week or the week before).

So, we get home and I explain to her that her tooth is ready to come out and that it won't hurt anymore, once it's out. She's adamant that I not do anything, so I tell her that I just want to look at it to see if it's okay and, like so many parents before me, I lied. Yank! A few tears later and a few, "Mommy don't!"'s, the tooth is free from it's gummy prison. I take a round cotton swab and peroxide to the now small hole and she looks at herself in our bathroom mirror. She smiles. Another milestone hit and we discuss the how tos of teeth under pillows and tooth fairies. It was special.

Meanwhile, the youngest has stayed pretty doped up on Baby Tylenol this weekend, due to teething (another, more painful milestone). She leaks clear liquid more than a bad faucet and she's extra needy and winy, poor thing. She's also suffering from a spring cold and when she coughs...well, it's just too bad babies don't know how to cough productively. I'm glad mostly warm weather is here so that she doesn't have to deal with this again anytime soon (well, I'm hopeful she won't).

Besides this, we had a really great weekend as a family. Hubby was off and spent a lot of time with us, but I'm still greedy for more. He goes back into work tomorrow night and I'm just dreading it (but glad he's here with me today). He's currently watching a Goosebumps DVD with our daughter...oh, the bonding. We went shopping this weekend, too and enter our name into a drawing for some electronic goodies. Guess who's name was pulled first? Enchantress wins! I am now the proud owner of a widescreen, portable Memorex DVD player. Woohoo! Road trips will never be the same.

3 comments:

Dee said...

I never win anything. You are so lucky! Enjoy.

Enchantress said...

Thanks so much! Here's to sending lucky vibes through cyber space to you. :-)

Icey said...

I NEVER win naything that cool! I will win something like a gym membership for a week! Congrats