Friday, November 06, 2009

Our Weather is Confused - But No Complaints

We hit 75 degrees, yesterday. Remember my "first day of snow" post on the last day of September? Amazing what can happen in one month. Our weather lady said, "You can wear your shorts today." We've had this unseasonable weather for the past few days, but I'm certainly not complaining. Hubby has used the opportunity to go ahead and put the Christmas lights on the roof (um, didn't he say he wasn't going to do a lot of lights this year? Yeah, he says it every year. I just don't even pay him any attention anymore when he says it) and get them ready for the day after Thanksgiving. That's when Christmas festivities start at our house, anyway. I do know of one person who has been listening to Christmas music since August. Sigh. What's nutty is that two of our "easy listening" stations, about two years ago, decided November 1 would be the day they'd start their "All Christmas music, all the time," campagins. I refuse to listen to those stations until after Thanksgiving as well.

We also spent part of the afternoon, yesterday, putting chicken wire around the bottom of our fence where, El Stupido (Hercules, my Chihuahua) has escaped a couple of times. "Why are you running away from free room and board, you dumb dog? Don't you know that's how you ended up at the animal shelter in the first place.?" (He was two pounds lighter than he is now, making him only two pounds when we adopted him). Right now, he's looking at me with that, "Play with me, please," expression he often has. Wow. What a little con-artist.

Hubby also purchased flower bulbs (Narcissus) to plant for next year, he'll be pulling up the rest of the solar lights from spring and filling in some areas in the back yard. So ambitious! I reminded him that these are his days off and he is allowed to enjoy them and relax a little bit. He never stops, that one.

My daughter has to read the scripture for our devotional on Sunday at the "special " afternoon service. That means, no 8:00 am service this week but we'll head down at 2:30 instead. I'm such an early bird that this will seem downright unnatural to me; however, I don't want to do multiple services and I don't want my kids missing out on their naps (Ugh! They are completely unbearable when they do). The multiple service issue is my own. Growing up with a father who pastored a church, I spent many a Sunday in services all day long. I don't have a problem with service, but two, three sometimes four in one day is too much for anyone.

My niece and nephew are coming over today. They are sleeping over and watching scary movies with the babe. It's great that they get to spend time together, but I am selfish. It seems we end up with them more then ours end up at their house. I know that their mother is basically a single-mom working all the time, just to keep a roof over their heads but it would be so nice if we had the luxury of a trusting care-giver for our kids, whenever we needed one. Yes. I am very selfish. I still can't help feeling like, "When do we get that opportunity?" I wish the babe's friends' parents weren't so flaky.

Speaking of the babe, she is getting so excited about New Mo.on. Hubby and I are trying to figure out how to find a babysitter for Indy, so that we can take the Babe (yeah...all of a sudden he wants to go, too. It went from, "Oh, I'll be fine watching it on video," to "How do you think we can take the Babe to see the movie?" He cracks me up).

3 comments:

Dee said...

has the babe been practicing her scripture? I'm sure she's a good reader but. . .
A dear young lady not yet 10 I think was given the same such task at my church last week and I don't think anyone suggested to her to practice. It would have been fine if she didn't have to read Jeremiah 48--all of it. I hope she hasn't been scared off from ever reading a scripture again in public.

Enchantress said...

That's a wonderful point and yes, we did practice. I think it would have been too terrifying if we hadn't. She has a karaoke machine, so she even practiced with a microphone to get used to it.

She did very well and, since it was an afternoon service and somewhat appropriate, she got some applause along with the standard, "Amens". She seemed pleased about that.

I think they'll ask her often, now. She does read well and we work on pronunciation so she's not stumbling over words. It's really frustrating and sad to watch some of our youth stumble so much when they read or read with a monotone. I think, "Didn't your mom and dad read to you when you were little?" I think I know the answer for a lot of them.

Dee said...

Yay!!!!
that's wonderful. I will hold back from spouting some hymns and stuff but I'm so proud and I've never met your daughter.
*sigh*
This weekend they stuck a young man with all 66 verses of lamentations 3. I'm about to go find out who is responsible for all this and volunteer to coach the poor little ones. Even the best readers get tired even with responsive reading.