Tuesday, November 24, 2009

My Girls

My eldest is going to get the "big head" (if she hasn't already). We were eating out Sunday and several people came up to tell her how beautiful she was. I've mentioned on here before that she is a striking child and people have done this her entire life. In fact, now she just sort of expects it. We get it where ever we go, no matter where we go.

If they're not telling her how beautiful she is, they're complimenting both my girls on their manners and how well they behave. Not complaining and I know lots of kids were hooligans, but have things really gotten that out of hand with child discipline? Some times I'm pleasantly surprised at how well some children act, while others need to have their parents taken out and beaten (Yes...I totally blame the parents). Still, I think most kids are pretty good. I guess I'm just always so shocked at how people react to my girls, in particular.

Back to my eldest. She was going on and on about how people are always talking about her hair (currently past her waist, but that'll change this weekend), her smile or her skin. She loves the attention, but when people actually come up to her, she's pretty humble and sweet about it all. I suppose that's good. Don't want her tooting her own horn, I guess;

"Yes! I know I'm fabulous. Love me! Adore me! Worship me!"

I think I'd melt away into nothing if she ever did that. My biggest concern for her is that she recognize her inner beauty. Her strength, her sensitivity and curiosity are what make up so much of who she is and I don't want her to lose sight of those attributes. We discuss it often and I remind her that her looks may some day fade, but her mind will be hers for the rest of her life. She should nurture it as much as possible.

Her sister seems to be more of the intellectual, if you can call a three year-old an intellectual. She'll be a big reader like her big sister I think, but I also feel like she'll be more focused on school and more concerned about it at a much earlier age. The Babe is just coming into this now, and she's almost been around a decade.

3 comments:

Dee said...

young people growing up with low/no self esteem is a tragedy
hope your girls continue to grow with healthy self-admiration

Miss Construed... said...

Hey M

Your girls are a reflection of you.

You're a strong woman, forthright and beautiful. Just like they will be one day. Like they are Now.

And Indy will be the image of her big sister because the Babe is her mentor.

It doesn't happen by accident.

Talk soon;take care

rn x

Enchantress said...

GC - You're so right. Thanks for putting it into perspective for me.

Miss Construed - Have I told you lately that I love you? Thank you so much for those wonderfully, kind words. ;)