Thursday, October 01, 2009

The Pig Flu Tangos Around the Office

So, one of my new co-workers is home fighting the hog ailment. She has the same symptoms I did and informed us that her parents are recovering from the same. They were actually tested for pig's disease and so...there you have it! Truly, the media does a number on us. We've been hearing about this thing for months. They'd have us believe it's a revisit of the bubonic plague, but it's just a nasty, pain-in-the-ass flu. Do what you're supposed to do when you get sick and you're golden! Be an idiot and run around in a T-shirt in 39 degree temps (our temperature yesterday, if you can believe that) and risk the inevitable.

My new spot in the office totally sucks. I'm right by the door which leads to the restrooms. Major "in and out" action all freakin' day. It's only four months, I keep telling myself, but it's little comfort. Only ten feet away is the blasted break room door. We're also now located on the floor with marketing and our enrollment counselors, many of whom are college age (or very close to it). They chatter incessantly and talk about the most inane things. Was I ever like that? Ugh! We try and keep the door closed but, inevitably, some wise ass opens it up and then we have to hear about the gay-love that isn't happening frequently enough in the bedroom or the too-high gas or how black men are the best lovers (which is true, but why do I have to hear it at work?).

The weather was crazy, yesterday. Wednesday, we ended with a high of 86 degrees. It seemed like we were going into an Indian summer, then an Arctic blast hit us from the northwest, sending our temps into the 30s. The thirties! By yesterday afternoon, the mountains were covered in a blanket of snow. I could no longer see the beautiful reds, oranges and golds of fall. I hope this early freeze doesn't kill them all. Those colors are the best part of fall.

(The picture was taken in my yard, yesterday. It's of the mountains directly east of my house).

4 comments:

Tasha said...

I'm really tired of the media sensationalism of the pig sickness. They keep saying it's deadly, but isn't the regular flu deadly as well if not taken care of properly? Chicken soup, TheraFlu and two days in bed and you're good.

Awww, I'm sorry about your work location. I work with a lot of college-age (and wanna be college-age again) folks and the conversation is no better. I'm not sure it's an age thing.

The pics of the mountains are beautiful!!

Tasha said...

I'm really tired of the media sensationalism of the pig sickness. They keep saying it's deadly, but isn't the regular flu deadly as well if not taken care of properly? Chicken soup, TheraFlu and two days in bed and you're good.

Awww, I'm sorry about your work location. I work with a lot of college-age (and wanna be college-age again) folks and the conversation is no better. I'm not sure it's an age thing.

The pics of the mountains are beautiful!!

Dee said...

2,000 people die each year in New York City alone of flu and complications--How many people have died of this so-called pandemic so far?

this whole propaganda effort is just a subplot for our rights to be taken away. I hate to sound like people who hole up in the hills with a bunch of guns; but when healthcare workers are told that they will take an untested vaccine against the porcine flu or be suspended something nasty is afoot!

Enchantress said...

It's a total conspiracy! I'm with you both. I do not take the vaccine of even the regular flu. Why? Because it's a virus and viruses mutate. What difference is a vaccine to a virus? We're not dealing with weakly bacteria. The one and only time I took that vaccine was during my second pregnancy (because the doc made me). I was sick as a dog for two weeks. I know I was sicker than I ever would have been, had a gotten the flu of my own accord. Craziness!