Monday, July 13, 2009

Oh Where Oh Where has my Little Dog Gone?

It's a sad day in my household. One week ago today, we adopted a dog from the shelter. One week prior to that, my hubby and girls made a visit to the shelter, where they fell in love with this little dog. Normally, we aren't fans of the rat-dogs, but this one was a charmer. He didn't bark at us and was so gentle. Not your average Chihuahua in any sense, my hubby had me visit the shelter after work to see him. I was convinced that he needed to be in our family.

We had to wait a few days before we could adopt him, but adopt him we did. He was so cute and followed the girls and me around everywhere. Hubby took him to the vet last Tuesday for a checkup and to see why his cough was so bad (I suspected kennel cough, considering where he'd been). My suspicions were confirmed and the vet put him on antibiotics. I worked for a vet office for two and one half years of my life, so I have experience with animals in the medical sense. I taught hubby and the babe how to hold our new little dog, while I gave him his meds. I'm sure that's why he stopped following me around and decided everyone else in the family was safe.

Each morning and evening, I would shoot yucky meds into his mouth via syringe. Yeah, we weren't really bonding anymore (but he was still cute, sweet and (although timidly) trying to get to know me. This morning, I let both dogs out to potty. They both came in together, shortly thereafter and ran around my feet for a bit. My older dog is a mite jealous but very big, so his running was more of a circling. After a little while, my older dog indicated he wanted to go out again, so out they both went. When I went to call them in, only my older dog appeared.

I searched the backyard frantically for our new, little Chihuahua. Nothing. I had my daughter check up front. Nothing. Then, we started combing the neighborhood. Still, nothing. She was becoming distressed. I called the animal shelter and alerted them that he was missing. They assured me that if anyone called, they would call me. Cynic that I am, I had visions of some horrid person removing his tags and claiming him for their own. It could happen, you know.

Work neglected, I emailed my boss and coworkers, letting them know what was happening. I went back out in my car with the kids, calling his name and searching the neighborhood for him. It was drawing near to the babe's summer camp time, so we called it quits and headed home.




After I dropped her off, I checked the neighborhood again, came back online and told my coworkers that I hadn't found him. My one colleague, wonderful lady that she is, insisted that I keep looking and not to worry about work (since I'd covered for her last week when her daughter got sick). I felt guilty, but also felt better to have more time to search for him. I piled Indy into her stroller and set off. My next-door neighbor drove by and said he'd search too (what a good guy!) and so I headed toward the local park, hoping some kids had found him and were playing with him. No luck.


We kept walking, the sun beating down on me making me drip sweat all over the pavement. No one can say I didn't put forth a good effort. Dehydrated, I alerted another neighbor, who sent her kids out on their bikes. They searched a bit, then headed back to their skate boards. I couldn't blame them for that. My driving-neighbor came home and suggested I post a lost ad online, which I did. I will also create a flyer.

Oh, I can't believe how awful I feel! Even though we hadn't quite bonded yet, I still feel completely mom-responsible for him. I'm so concerned that he'll get hurt or attacked (he's only four pounds and we were steadily working to put a little weight on him.). We were going to schedule his neutering this week, but I guess we were a few days to late. Those man parts make a dog wander like no other! I'm hopeful, but very depressed. My oldest has had a really hard time this year and she was really starting to perk up with this new dog. He loved her best, I think. Hubby keeps calling and I wonder if he'll rearrange his trainings this afternoon, in order to help look. I've had to take care of Indy, so the search has been off for a while. Gosh, I hope he's okay and I hope someone does the kind/right thing and gets him back to us quickly and safely. He didn't have his meds this morning, or his breakfast...poor little guy. Honestly, my daughter doesn't need anymore heart-break this year.


Have you ever lost a pet? What did you do? Did you find him? Is there something else I should try?

3 comments:

Dee said...

I am so very sorry to hear about your lost dog.
I hope he turns up, or at least finds a safe place wherever he's gone.

I once "lost" my cat while moving. Turns out he was hiding in the cupboard. I wouldn't wish that feeling on anyone.

Enchantress said...

He was in the cupboard? He must have been really happy in there, not to tell you where he was. Not a very vocal kitty, huh? :)

Today's post shares the good news. I was really happy to have him back and thank you for your concern. :)

Miss Construed... said...

My mother's cat has been blind since he was hit by the rubbish truck when he was only six months old; and so became an indoors only pet. He gets around pretty good for a blind cat! Once he got out, though, and was missing for over a week. We put flyers around, called the radio stations etc but still he didn't get found. My sister rang a psychic who said he was wandering around in circles in the dark; (pretty apt description for a blind cat!) but then he was discovered under a neighbours house four doors down, he had managed to get in but then couldn't find the hole again to get out. Anyway, the neighbour had seen the flyer and called us. He's been happy to stay indoors since!

Glad you got your puppy back!