Tuesday, July 07, 2009

Oh, So Dependent

Yesterday, I was faced with my dependency on my Internet access. The modem was malfunctioning (as it's prone to do, sometimes) and I cycled the power a few times, only to have it set there helplessly, doing nothing. I called tech support. Need I say more? It was awful! It's not even that I'm calling India and there's a massive language barrier, but it's when they talk to me like I'm a complete moron. Excuse me, I'm not some run-of-the-mill user who doesn't have a clue. I do know what I'm talking about. The most frustrating thing, yesterday? I would go through my steps and then Mr. Tech-man would regurgitate everything I just said in question form (as if reading his technical manual, which is probably what he was doing).

"Look, dumb ass, didn't I just say I did that?" Ugh! I wish I were brave enough to just say it when I feel it. Of course, I was polite (but in a frustrated sort of way). I guess if I said what I felt all the time, I would be alone. He would also put me on perma-hold while he read his manual (I knew what he was doing. Who did he think he was dealing with?) . After nearly two and one half hours of running around from phone line to phone line, testing the modem, he scheduled a technical service call. I was so done, by then. I called hubby and vented, only to look over and see the light illuminated on the modem. What the hell? Had to call and cancel the service call.

In hindsight, I should have hung up and called back when I realized I had someone who didn't have a clue. Oh, well. Live and learn. Hubby and I are now considering going back to cable as an Internet source (and also upgrading our TV service at the same time). Gosh, why not? If I can talk to a tech support lady/guy in the states...I'm all for it.

No comments: