Thursday, March 27, 2008

Living with Oldsters

My patience is wearing very thin. This whole, "being off carbs" is like being with someone who is in the freaking twilight zone, while you're in the real world watching him roam around aimlessly trying to find the door to your world. It's beyond crazy and I'm ready to just start shoving cookies, or crackers or a loaf of bread down his throat. I suppose this is similar to what deprogrammers deal with, when they pick up cultists...accept, I'm not trying to feed mine steaks and burgers (he's getting plenty of protein). Thank goodness this thing is only two more days away. He says that as early as Friday, he can start downing the carbs again. Please, Friday...just get here!

On a different note, the winds of change are here. What the heck happened to my lovely spring weather? Yesterday was breezy but pleasant. By the time I got gas (after dropping the oldest off at dance class), I was in need of a gortex coat! It was freaking freezing and my hands were like ice. As I type this, I can hear the wind banging at the windows and racing up and down my street (with helpless branches in tow). It's supposed to be 30 something today with possible snow. Snow? The heck you say! I was in a sun dress only two days ago. Yeah, this weather is like my hubby right now; inconsistent and all over the place. It's like living with old people.

I've decided I'm hard on my oldest. Not so hard that she can't handle it, but I am. I love her and I nurture her, and make sure that she's loved but I also know what she's capable of and I don't put up with her slacking off (like some parents around here do with their kids). If she starts giving me attitude like one of her friends, I don't calmly say, "Okay now, babe, you need to calm down." Hell no! It's, "You better watch how you're talking to me cause I'm not one of your little friends." This usually straightens the situation up quick and in a hurry.

Sometimes, she blows my mind with the things she thinks about or says. Other times, she has me ready to pull out my hair and spit teeth. "Did she honestly think logically when she asked me that?!" I've decided a big part of the stress she initiates is her age. We've got a couple in her age group in the neighborhood and a couple who are two years older than she is. The difference in cognitive reasoning skills, conversation and interpersonal skills (just in the two year age difference) is astounding. I hope that I'm of a stable enough mind to enjoy it when she gets to that point.

2 comments:

Miss Construed... said...

Hey Enchantress

Feels good to catch up on all the goings on at last; I've missed all you guys in blogland the last few weeks.

I really relate to how you feel like you're going harsh on the babe; I was exactly the same with my eldest around that age. It used to make me feel like crap; but in hindsight he has come out the other side (16 this year) a bright respectful and much admired young man who I'm very proud of.

(Not sure who this post will come up from; but it's only Me, rn, in case it comes up as miss construed.)

Dee said...

Well, it's tuesday. just 2 more days to go.