Friday, March 14, 2008

Are you ready for Easter?

This year, we are celebrating Easter the earliest it has been celebrated since 1818 and won't be this early again until 2160. I've had a hard time with it being so early, so it's good to see that I won't have to worry about it being so early again (at least in my lifetime). It has to do with the moon and vernal equinox or something. It's also supposedly harder to calculate the time for the Western church than it is for the Eastern. All I know is that for the "pagan" portions of the holiday, I am certainly not ready.

Next Friday will be "dying day" at our house. When I was growing up, we usually did this on Saturdays, but I will be spending that Saturday doing every one's hair (Why couldn't I have had at least one boy...a pair of clippers and a cute little suit would be so much easier), if it ever gets here. I ordered the extensions last Friday with no word on tracking or anything yet. I emailed them today to ask, "What gives?" because I don't want to be caught driving around town next week looking for hair. Of course, it won't be an expense duplicated in vain; there's always some one's hair to do at my house.

But again, back to when I was little. We would buy our couple of dozen eggs and color all day (my mom and I; my dad was usually on the road, or busy with church stuff, or just gone). Then, she would have boiled eggs with her breakfast for days. The same is somewhat true here, but this year, Indy will want to be involved. I'm not quite sure how I'm going to manage it without my house becoming a tie-dyed mess, but we'll see.

I like the fancy ones; the glitter or tattooed eggs. They're also the kind that are the most trouble, but why have just colored eggs when you can double-dip them in glitter? Oh, I'll never change.

Finally, I was prepared for one portion of all these festivities; the dresses. We already have them, thank goodness. Indy's is a hand-me-down from her sister's pageant days. It's a very fancy white dress with lots of beading and sequins. The babe didn't look completely put together in the dress until she was four (even though she started wearing it at two), but Indy is so much taller that she'll probably be just fine now. The babe's dress was actually a purchase for the winter pictures we were initially going to take; however, with the cold and all the snow we've had this year, we decided against it. No way was she going out anywhere in December with spaghetti straps! Her dress is white with organza. There are purple accents in the form of flowers and adornments all over. It came from one of those high-end fancy shops where you can buy prom/bridesmaid/flower girls dresses, but it was on super sale. So, all we had to do was buy the shoes last weekend. Indy was in heaven! I still can't believe a two-year old could love shoes so much.

With all the Easter hullabaloo running through my head, I haven't forgotten that I'm still working on real life issues. Hubby and I have been good, so far. We're making sure that we're getting in our quality time together and we're continuously talking. He's still preparing for his show in the next couple of weeks and he's doing so well. I'm really proud of all his efforts and I hope they are rewarded. Our girls will be with us that night and it's always an adventure for them to be up that far after bedtime. They usually get a little slap-happy and start talking crazy. Oh, the joys of childhood. I know that the babe, though, we'll be her daddy's biggest cheerleader.

4 comments:

Dee said...

I didn't know people did all those egg-dyeing activities for real.

Miss Construed... said...

Hi Enchantress

We used to dye eggs at school then roll them down the hill and see who's egg went the furthest.

Glad to hear you and the hubby are still working things thru; it's so easy to get complacent!

My new site can be found at missconstrewed.blogspot.com

I'd feel pretty sad and empty if I lost you (or Miss Understood)as my blog buddy. So; head on over and say hi!

rnbuffoon

Tasha said...

Ohh, you just made me so nostalgic. I used to get crazy with the egg dying and turn my mom's kitchen into a rainbow colored glittery mess; it was great! I haven't done it since I left home, but I might try to get D to do it this year.

Enchantress said...

GC - Yep! And apparently, not just restricted to us state-side folks.

Miss Construed - So glad you're still around! Say, I remember rolling eggs down hills, too! It's great when you find someone with shared traditions. Will your youngest dye any eggs this year?

Tasha - You should! That inner child is dying to sprinkle glitter. ;)