Monday, November 19, 2007

Are There Fairies? Pixies? Mythical Creatures?

This is the question The Spiderwick Chronicles answers in it's four-book series. My eldest and I have been reading these for the past few weeks and were delighted to discover that a movie has been made! It is due to release in theaters February of 2008. In the meantime, I think the babe will probably peruse these books over and over again until the movie is released. She seems utterly enchanted...even more so than with the Harry Potter series.

So, the question above; do you believe in things unseen...perhaps even magical things? I'm not sure I even know the answer to the second part. The first part is a resounding yes. I believe in faith, hope and love...those are things I know exist but I cannot see them. Only their results. I am also Christian, so I believe in a higher power that I cannot see. Mythical creatures and such? Who knows. I don't rule anything out because I think the world has yet to be truly discovered. We know a lot, but we're still learning. It's always crazy to me when my hubby or I read about some animal discovered that they thought was made extinct thousands of years ago. Who's to say they won't someday discover something that no scientist could have ever predicted?

There must be many of us who are either intrigued by the world of myth or believe it may actually exist. Our culture is bursting with it and it seems to be making its way into our mainstream. I can't tell you how many fairy/pixie/dwarf tattoos I've seen in the last few years. Fairies litter the department stores in clothing and jewelry. There was many a fairy to be seen this Halloween, too. Even Tinkerbell has made a resurgence...and her role wasn't even that big in Peter Pan.

Finally, I'm more excited by the fact that my daughter finally sees the wonderment of books. Oh, she's always enjoyed reading but, yesterday I saw her too eager to finish where we'd left off. Most times, she's more interested in finishing up the movie she started. Perhaps her imagination has "turned on" with books and she's seeing the scenes and images in her mind. I hope that's what has happened. I'd much rather have her bury her nose in a book where she's being creative then attempt to blind herself in front of the television, where the creating is done for her.

5 comments:

Miss Construed... said...

My aunt used to take my sisters and cousins and I mushrooming early in the mornings on our Grandfather's farm. We used to swear that faeries ived under them and made the spiderwebs all dewy...

Enchantress said...

What a fun memory! Faeries and their early morning sewing. What could be more enchanting? :)

Miss Construed... said...

It was the Most magical place.

And then (without being over dramatic in Any way) it died. My aunt (Susan) and uncle (Boof) killed it for everyone.

Miss Construed... said...

Christ M; I'm in a bad place today obviously.

Delete that comment;it's ruined your post.

x

Enchantress said...

I'm not deleting what you say/said. If it's honest and what you feel (or felt), it stays. We are who are...happy or sad.